20011207: rcommands Solaris <--> Linux

>From: Pepo Juega <address@hidden>

Pepo,

>I am rehearsing a new act in which a SPARC-Solaris 2.6 performs
>together with a i686-Red Hat 7.0 doing LDM stuff. Solaris acts
>as a feeder and Linux as a requester.
>
>All goes well, except the rcommands, (rcp, rsh, rlogin...)
>...Connection refused
>Anybody that you know has ever tried this combination?

Yes, we run this configuration (Solaris<->Linux<->Solarisx86) all the time.

The failure of the 'r' commands (rsh, rcp, etc.) could be due several
different things:

o configuration in /etc/hosts.allow
o configuration in /etc/inetd.conf

It is most likely not related to /etc/pamd.conf or any of the other files.

Of course, our answer is assuming that you are having problems doing
'r' commands from Solaris to Linux.

>The particular setup that we have kept forces us to
>
>.rhosts files in place +  /etc/hosts X-references OK
>
>Solaris /etc/pamd.conf:
>rsh     auth required   /usr/lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so.1
>rlogin  auth sufficient /usr/lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so.1
>rlogin  auth required   /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1
>other   auth required   /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1
>other   account required        /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1
>other   session required        /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1
>other   password required       /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1
>
>Red Hat /etc/pam.d/rsh
>auth       required     /lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so
>auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
>account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
>session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
>
>Red Hat /etc/pam.d/rlogin
>auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so
>auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
>auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
>auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
>account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
>password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
>
>Red Hat /etc/pam.d/other
>auth     required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
>account  required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
>password required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
>session  required       /lib/security/pam_deny.so
>
>Please advice++ Once we get the ball bouncing, we can start to worry
>about security...

Tom Yoksas