20011220: ldmfail failing and sending emails every 20 minutes

>From: "James R. Frysinger" <address@hidden>

Jim,

re: ldmfail fail
>OK, problem solved, case closed. I hadn't picked up on that formatting
>subtlety, either, when I scanned the config files.

>       The good news is that this will give me several more days of winter
>break to do some boning up on mcidas. I've installed the gempak
>binaries here at home, just for grins, and have modified (bash'ed) most
>of the csh style Gemenviron script. Still have to check a couple of
>things (if-fi sytax, for example). I've heard that bash is supposed to
>understand csh scripts, but I haven't tried that theory out yet. If I
>where merely to put a chsh line in there, it seems like it would flip
>the user's environment and mess him (me) up.
>
>       Maybe, since this was all so easy, I'll drift on down to campus and
>install gempak on 'weather' (or do it by remote control from here at
>home).
>
>       Since gempak requires a feed (I think that's what you said earlier),

Yup.  The files must "look" like they are local.  You could do this by
NFS mounting the data on weather, but you mentioned earlier that this
may not be allowed.

>I'm wondering how hard it would be to set up my machine at home to get
>a feed from 'weather' and for 'weather' to support that feed.

Piece of cake IF your home machine has a fixed IP address AND you can
do forward and reverse name lookups on that machine.  If you can
satisfy these criteria, then all you have to do is:

o 'allow' your machine in the ldmd.conf files on weather; I would
  add an allow line for everything

o load the LDM on your home machine and then request the data you want
  from weather

o load the various GEMPAK decoders and configure the pqact.conf file
  on your home machine

o make sure you setup data scouring

>If my ISP
>for my home computer beefs about the bandwidth, I could turn it off
>easy enough. Whatcha think?

Easy if you meet the conditions above.

>       I see that MM5 output support is going away on Jan 31. I've toyed with
>the idea of installing that model as well. Should be another
>interesting program for our met students to try out. That's probably
>way out in the future, though. Personally, I've got enough here already
>to keep me busy for awhile.

Many sites are running models locally.  GEMPAK is the best package we
currently offer for looking at model data, so it would be a great match.

Later...

Tom