Re: Ship Obs

Hi Larry,

Just a follow up on my earlier message.  I looked around a bit on
meteora.

> Those are the ones.  Now, if I could just figure out where they're going.
> I'm totally baffled.  It looks as though they're in the hourly synoptic
> files.  They're just not getting into the daily ship files.  Perhaps the
> phase of the moon is not ideal?  Maybe the constellations are not in proper
> alignment?

I don't know where these products are going.  In a quick look, I see
that the pattern for the synoptic files is broader, i.e., matches more
strings (and thus possibly more products - I don't know anything about
these products) than the pattern for the ship files.  That is, ^S[IMNSX]
matches more than ^S(IV|MW|MV|NV).  I tried to determine if products
were going into synoptic files that weren't making it into ship files,
but was unsuccessful.  Can you determine if this is happening?

> Now, on to two other subjects, you asked me to save a copy of the
> something-or-other file the next time the ldm stopped sending something to
> somebody.  Well, it did and I didn't.  I couldn't remember which file
> (unless it was the log file?) and data wasn't flowing.  So I just stopped
> and restarted.  Data flowed.

I see that there was a shutdown and restart at 12/3 at 18Z.  The logs
contains no indications of problems that might cause that.  I don't know
why you weren't getting data, except that perhaps the machine is
overloaded.  The memory is limited - 160Mbytes.  Also, it looks pretty
loaded with load averages 2.75 and up.  The OS is pretty old.

One issue: there are tons of "connections reset by peer" messages.  Also
there are a fair number of messages from denied hosts, although those
are all IP addresses of hosts that are allowed.  It looks a bit like an
intermittent DNS failure.  Perhaps your DNS machine is overloaded and
dropping packets.  An easy fix for this is to add the names of all the
machines that connect to your machine into /etc/hosts.  This will
eliminate going to the DNS, and thus might improve the connections to
other machines.

And, FYI, in looking at the system logs, looks like one of your
partitions is full:

 /scratchsat: file system full

I guess that's all I can tell you today.  I'll wait until I hear back
from you, and I'll assume that I'll be installing the ldm on aeolus in
the near future.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307