Re: Ship Obs

Larry Riddle wrote:

> >Are these the products you are looking for?  I ask because I'm not
> >familiar with these products.
>
> Those are the ones.  Now, if I could just figure out where they're going.
> I'm totally baffled.  It looks as though they're in the hourly synoptic
> files.  They're just not getting into the daily ship files.  Perhaps the
> phase of the moon is not ideal?  Maybe the constellations are not in proper
> alignment?

Have you made the appropriate sacrifices?  Said the appropriate
prayers??  The gods can be uppity, as we all know.

> >The date that you mentioned above is about the time the new NEXRAD
> >products started coming in.  They started appearing on 11/27.  I'm
> >wondering if that might have had an impact on the filing of products on
> >your machine.  Are you filing radar products?  If so, the increase might
> >have caused pqact to get behind.
>
> I not currently capturing any radar stuff.  I'm supposed to be doing it,
> but I haven't spent any time yet figuring out how.  I thought I'd wait
> until I get gempak running and see if there is any useful help (like pqact
> entries) in the setup instructions.

I'll take a look at this particular ship obs problem this morning.

> Now, on to two other subjects, you asked me to save a copy of the
> something-or-other file the next time the ldm stopped sending something to
> somebody.  Well, it did and I didn't.  I couldn't remember which file
> (unless it was the log file?) and data wasn't flowing.  So I just stopped
> and restarted.  Data flowed.
>
> Which file did you want?  For future reference.

It's the log that would give pertainent info, if any.  You may still
have it, as the logs are rotated whenever the ldm is restarted.  You may
also have a cron job that rotates the logs once per day, in which case,
if it happened more than four days ago, it may be gone.  The current log
file is ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log.  The old log files are in the same
directory, and called ldmd.log.1, ldmd.log.2, ldmd.log.3, and
ldmd.log.4.  Most people keep the default value of four backup logs,
usually four days worth of logs.

I'll take a look at your logs this this morning also.

> Second, aeolus.ucsd.edu (a DEC 3000 that is scheduled to become the
> ldm-only host we've been long anticipating) is finally supposed to be ready
> for prime time tomorrow.  Rather than my taking a chance on screwing up the
> installation of a top tier node, would you be interested in doing the
> installation from Boulder?

Yes, I'll do that.  But, I would like to do that later this week, would
that be ok?

What will your local topology be?  Will you be retiring metoera?  Or,
will aeolus feed meteora?  And, which will feed your downstream sites?

> I hate to ask, but I think it's too important for me to chance screwing it
> up.  We can wait until the systems administrator (now Martin Olivera) gets
> around to it, but that could be a very long wait.
>
> I'm hoping that some (and when I dream, all) of these problems will
> magically disappear with the advent of aeolus.

With the right sacrifices, prayers, and planetary alignments, it could
happen!!

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307