Re: 20011118: Linux kernel for LDM

Unidata Support wrote:

> [...]

Hi Larry,

I must respond with our standard party line.  We only support standard
redhat distributions.  With Redhat 7.2 the kernel version is 2.4.7-10.
This is the latest version that we are running here.

I'm not sure how the upgrade will work for you, although our sys admin
thinks that it would probably be fine.  At the moment, all I know about
the LDM on later Linux kernels is what has appeared on the ldm-users
list.  (You can always review those messages by looking in the ldm-users
archives at http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpsedocs/ghldm-users.html.)
Although people write when they have problems, they probably don't write
when things work fine.  And, kernel upgrade results appear to be
somewhat hardware dependent, e.g. single vs. multiprocessor machines.
If you're really want more info, you could write to ldm-users and ask if
anyone has done so successfully.  And, I understand that somehow you can
"downgrade" if you want to back out of an upgrade, although I don't know
how that is done.

Although we upgrade our Linux boxes every night with the latest patches,
we do not upgrade our kernels.  And we do these upgrades via our own
software that goes out to the ftp sites, not up2date.  We get all the
updates, but do not apply the kernel updates.  I don't know if you can
configure up2date to upgrade everything but the kernel or not.  Just a
thought...

I'm sorry I can't provide you with more concrete information.  Good
luck.  I'd be interested in hearing what you decide to do and the
outcome.

Anne
                                  Boulder, CO  80307