20011127: McIDAS vis-a-via Solaris 7/8 (cont.)

>From: "James R. Frysinger" <address@hidden>

Jim,

re:
>> ~ldm/data <-> /export/home/mcdata/ldm/data       (link)
>> ~ldm/logs <-> /export/home/mcdata/ldm/logs       (link)
>
>That looks good to me, so I did that and built the links accordingly.

OK.

re: use Solaris' ldd function to check to see if binaries will run.

>Yeah, I got some dead ones, it looks like. Here's a successful one and a
>few dead ones:
>weather% ldd pqinsert
>        libm.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libm.so.1
>        librpcsoc.so.1 =>        /usr/ucblib/librpcsoc.so.1
>        libnsl.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
>        libsocket.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
>        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
>        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
>        libmp.so.2 =>    /usr/lib/libmp.so.2
>        /usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-5_10/lib/libc_psr.so.1

This looks good.

>weather% ldd syscheck
>ldd: syscheck: unsupported or unknown file type
>weather% ldd ldmprods
>ldd: ldmprods: unsupported or unknown file type
>weather% ldd newlog
>ldd: newlog: unsupported or unknown file type
>weather% ldd ldmadmin
>ldd: ldmadmin: unsupported or unknown file type
>weather% ldd ldmcheck
>ldd: ldmcheck: unsupported or unknown file type

These are all shell scripts (Perl) so ldd should show that they are
an unsupported or unknown file type.  You can check the file type of
an unknown executable using the 'file' builtin in the C shell:

file pqinsert
file ldmadmin
 etc.

>       What the heck. I shouldn't be any worse off doing a make from source,
>right?

Right, you won't be.

>Reckon I'll just go ahead and do that. Then if there are some
>unmakeable links, I should get some "error"s popping out.

It looks to me like the binaries will work on your system (after, ldd
on pqinsert did not show that it was looking for shared libraries that
couldn't be found).

Tom