[LDM #UKZ-297744]: mcidas decode issue

Hi Dan,

Since I am the author/support person in charge of ldm-mcidas decoders, Steve
asked me to jump in...

re: Steve said
> An exit code of 127 usually means that the execvp() system-call couldn't
> find the given utility (pngg2gini).

Questions:

- is is the ldm-mcidas decoder/utility 'pngg2gini' in the PATH for the
  user running your LDM?

- if yes, is it executable?

- if yes, is it trying to load a shared library that it can't find?

  To test this, you would run:

  <as 'ldm'>
  ldd pngg2gini

re:
> Should the name be "png2gini" instead of "pngg2gini"?

No, the name of the decoder/utility is 'pngg2gini'.

re:
> If not, what happens if you specify the absolute pathname of the utility?

This would be a good test.

re:
> I just "successfully" configured and installed the mcidas decoders for ldm,
> but nothing is coming through. I am getting Broken/can't-write-to pipe issues.

Can you send us:

- your LDM configuration file, ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf

- the LDM pattern-action file in that has the action for running 'pngg2gini'

- the output of:

  cd ~ldm
  which pngg2gini

  echo $PATH

Final comment(s):

- 'pngg2gini' converts the product from a PNG compresed GINI file to a
  standard GINI file (the entire file is not PNG compressed, only the
  image portion of the file, hence the need for a decoder)

  If it is your intention to use the un-PNGed FNEXRAD files in GEMPAK,
  the IDV and/or McIDAS, then there is no need to un-PNG the images
  as all of these packages understand how to use the PNG-compressed
  files.

  If you want to use the FNEXRAD files in other applications, then
  you will need to un-PNG the files.

Ticket ID: UKZ-297744
Department: Support ldm-mcidas