[ldmMcidas #LMZ-903767]: ldm-mcidas installation

Hi Bereket,

First, my sincere apologies for taking so long to get back to you on your
inquiry below!

re:
> I am trying to install ldm-mcidas and I am having the following error.
> The environment variables I use are also shown below.

OK, thanks.

re:
> My LDM was not configured with "-with-ulog" flag (ldm version 10 6.13.7).

OK.  This may be (at least part of) the cause of your difficulties.

re:
> I am using the following environment variables.

OK.

re:
> I don't have mcidas-X installed because it didn't let me download it.

Unfortunately, our license to distribute McIDAS-X limits us to making it
available to educational institutions or sites that are members in good
standing with the McIDAS User's Group (MUG) that UW/SSEC operates. Fortunately,
the ldm-mcidas decoders can be built without McIDAS being installed.

re:
> Is there a way to install the decoders without mcida-X and with ldm configured
> without "-with-ulog" flag.?

The answer to the first part of this question is yes; the answer to the
second part is unknown to me at this point.  I will need to build against
the latest LDM to see what needs to be done.

re:
> gcc -O  -o area2png alarm.o commonsubs.o imgsubs.o pngsubs.o rtesubs.o
> area2png.o /usr/local/ldm/lib/libldm.a /usr/lib/libxml2.a
> ../port/misc/libudport.a -L/usr/local/ldm/opt/netcdf/lib -lnetcdf -L../libpng
> -lpng -L../zlib -lz    -lm || (rm -f area2png; exit 1)
> alarm.o: In function `alarm_on':
> alarm.c:(.text+0x75): undefined reference to `_uassert'
> alarm.c:(.text+0x9c): undefined reference to `_uassert'
> alarm.c:(.text+0xb2): undefined reference to `udebug'

Hmm... the problem definitely stems from the old LDM ULOG entry points no longer
existing in the LDM library.  I just sent a note off to our LDM developer to see
if it is OK to run configure with the '--with-ulog' option but still use the
newer logging package that is bundled with the LDM.  I will get back to you with
what I learn when I hear more about this new wrinkle.

re:
> export CC=gcc
> export CFLAGS=-O
> export FC=gfortran
> export FFLAGS='-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic -ff90-intrinsics-hide'
> export CPP_LDM=-I/usr/local/ldm/include
> export LD_LDM='/usr/local/ldm/lib lldm'
> export CPP_MCIDAS=-I/usr/local/ldm/mcidas/inc
> export LD_MCIDAS='-L/usr/local/ldm/mcidas/usr/local/mcidas/lib -lmcidas'
> export LD_MCIDAS='-L/usr/local/ldm/mcidas/include'
> export CPP_NETCDF=-I/usr/local/ldm/opt/netcdf/include
> export LD_NETCDF='-L/usr/local/ldm/opt/netcdf/lib -lnetcdf'
> export LD_X11=''
> export LD_MATH=-lm

Here are the environment settings that I use for building the ldm-mcidas
decoders when linking against older versions of the LDM:

# For LDM versions that do not include libxml2 and McIDAS-X versions
# that include HDF5
export CC=gcc
export CFLAGS=-O
export CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran'
export FC=gfortran
export FFLAGS='-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic'
export CPP_LDM=-I/home/ldm/include
export LD_LDM='/home/ldm/lib/libldm.a'
export CPP_MCIDAS=-I/home/mcidas/inc
export LD_MCIDAS='-L/home/mcidas/lib -lmcidas'
export CPP_NETCDF=-I/home/mcidas/mcidas2019/netcdf/include
export LD_NETCDF='-L/home/mcidas/lib -lnetcdf
-L/home/mcidas/mcidas2019/hdf5/src -lhdf5_hl -lhdf5'
export LD_MATH=-lm

Again, I will get back to you with more information as soon as I hear back
from our LDM developer on the new '--with-ulog' flag for 'configure'.

Sorry for not being able to answer straight off!

Ticket ID: LMZ-903767
Department: Support ldm-mcidas