[ldmMcidas #VFD-440827]: high level question

Hi Mike,

re:
> Thanks for your offer to help, I know this is a bit outside the norm.  Let's
> see, I'm
> not sure why I chose to move from GEMPAK 6.2 to GEMPAK 6.10.2, and not 7.3,
> but I
> thought I had a reason.  In any case I think what I'm trying to do is simple,
> just plot
> sat imagery from command line or script.  I would like to avoid using
> ldm-mcidas if I
> don't need to.  I think I was using the wrong terminology in my original
> email, these
> are just the raw images that come through IDD/NOAAport
>
> Example:
> # NOAAPORT GINI Images in NIMAGE feed
> NIMAGE  ^satz/ch[0-9]/.*/(.*)/([12][0-9])([0-9][0-9])([01][0-9])([0-3][0-9])
> ([0-2][0-9])(00|15|30|45)/(.*)/(.*km)/
> FILE    -close
> /usr/local/ldm/data/gempak/images/sat/\8/\9/\1/\1_\2\3\4\5_\6\7

OK.  The GINI images that are sent in the LDM/IDD NIMAGE datastream
are Zlib, not PNG compressed (although PNG is built on top of Zlib).
Reasonably recent Unidata GEMPAK and McIDAS distributions (recent means
since early 5.x releases), support the compressed GINI images directly.

re:
> My current error is a segmentation fault using 'gpmap' and setting 'satfil'
> to a current
> image.

It almost sounds like the image(s) are corrupt, or there is something
wrong with your GEMPAK build; they should work without uncompressing
which means that you should not need to use the ldm-mcidas decoders.

re:
> Before I get you too involved, in theory should I be able to use 'gpmap' to
> plot a raw
> these raw images?

I think so, yes.  I am not 100% sure since I am not a GEMPAK user.

re:
> I know you don't have a lot to go on as far as helping, but I don't
> want to waste your time.

No worries.  We should be able to get you going reasonably quickly.

Ticket ID: VFD-440827
Department: Support ldm-mcidas