[ldmMcidas #VFD-440827]: high level question

Hi Mike,

re:
> I was once an active member of the Unidata community, but have since
> moved from San Jose State to Pacific Gas and Electric.

We're old, but not old enough to have forgotten you!  So, how are you doing?

re:
> I'm am technically
> outside the community but I thought I might ask this high level question
> to get pointed in the right direction.  I run GEMPAK to produce a bunch of
> graphics and plot satellite imagery, and this has worked great for years.
> I recently compiled GEMPAK on some new servers and all my prior stuff
> works well except for the satellite maps.  My old Gempak version 6.2.0
> and my new one is 6.10.  It looks like the ldm-mcidas binaries are no
> longer available, and I had trouble compiling from source.

I can help you compile the ldm-mcidas set from source if that is the
route you choose to go.

re:
> So my high level question is, if I want to plot some satellite images
> from the command line like in this old script for example:
>
> gpmap<< EOF
> restore 1km_vis.nts
> garea=29;-129;44.7;-111.2
> satfil=IR_20160715_2045
> device=gif|$NAME.gif|660;540
> clear=y
> text=1/2/1/hw
> title=1/-2/GOES-13 $NAME UTC
>
> ....do I still need to have ldm-mcidas decoders or MCIDAS compiled?

You shouldn't since recent versions (post 5.something) support the
PNG-compressed satellite imagery directly.  If you want to use the
images in non-Unidata packages, it is likely that you would still
need to use the ldm-mcidas utility(ies) to return the images to
their original formats.

re:
> Do I still need SATANNOT, SATBAND, and ROUTE.SYS files?

Those are needed if you use the ldm-mcidas 'pnga2area' (and other)
utility.

re:
> Before I hack away on this I thought maybe I should ask if there is a
> more straightforward way to just plot the area file images.

Assuming that you are using a Unidata distribution of GEMPAK, you
should be able to use the PNG-compressed imagery directly in GEMPAK,
and you would not have to use the ldm-mcidas utilities.  If this
is not working for some reason, it might be best to update to
a current release of Unidata GEMPAK. If this is not possible for
some reason, then I can help you get the ldm-mcidas "decoders"
built.

re:
> Best regards to all at Unidata, andthanks so much for any tips,

It's good to hear from you.  If you ever get to Boulder, please make
sure to stop by!

Ticket ID: VFD-440827
Department: Support ldm-mcidas