20051110: Decoding and filing satellite imagery (cont.)

>From: Nancy Selover <address@hidden>

Hi Nancy,

>I tried the command:
>file ~ldm/decoders/pnga2area   and I got the response line:
>
>/huser/ldm/decoders/pnga2area:  COFF format alpha executable paged
>dynamically linked stripped - version 3.11-10
>
>Does that mean it's okay?

Hmm...  No, not if you are running on a Linux system.

Here, for example, is the same 'file' invocation on another user's
Fedora Core Linux system:

$ file /home/ldm/decoders/bin/pnga2area
/home/ldm/decoders/bin/pnga2area: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs),
stripped

>Also, on the pqact line, the -v1 was my typing a "one" in my e-mail to
>you.  I didn't edit that part of the pqaact.gempak_images file, so I
>presume it's actually an "ell" in the file.

OK.  You musth have edited the pqact.conf entry for GEMPAK because
the examples provided by GEMPAK don't include the '-a' and '-b'
flags.

>If this pnga2area file is corrupt, where do I find a new copy of the
>file?  I'm using the Linux binary 5.8.3a.

Given the results of you running 'file ~ldm/decoders/pnga2area' I am
guessing that you got/will get an error if you try to run pnga2area
from the command line:

<as 'ldm'>
~ldm/decoders/pnga2area              <- will list out help info if it runs

If trying to run this from the command line fails, then you should
grab a binary distribution of the ldm-mcidas decoders for your system.
The quickest way to do this is using anonymous FTP:

machine:   ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user:      anonymous
pass:      address@hidden
directory: pub/binary/linux_2.4-i686    <- if your Linux machine is running
                                           the 2.4 kernel
           pub/binary/linux_2.6-i686    <- if your linux machine is running
                                           the 2.6 kernel
file:      ldm-mcidas-2004.tar.Z

You determine which kernel your system is using by running:

uname -a

I suggest that you unpack this as follows in your ldm account:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
mkdir ldm-mcidas
mv ldm-mcidas-2004.tar.Z ldm-mcidas
tar xvzf ldm-mcidas-2004.tar.Z
rm ldm-mcidas-2004.tar.Z
ln -s ldm-mcidas-2004 runtime
ln -s runtime/* .
cd bin
file ./pnga2area

If this looks correct, then run:
cp pnga2area ~/decoders

>Thank you and have a nice holiday weekend.

Thanks, you too.