20051109: Decoding and filing satellite imagery

>From: Nancy Selover <address@hidden>

Hi Nancy,

re:
>       I'm trying to get GEMPAK and LDM back up to speed on Godzilla
>after Godzilla was accidentally wiped clean.  I have the radar,  models,
>nwx, surface and upperair data all coming in and decoding okay, but I'm
>not able to decode and/or file the satellite imagery.   I'm using
>pqact.gempak_images - edited only to indicate my paths.
>
>The error message I get in the ldmd.log is:
>
>NOV 09 18:14:41 godzilla pqact[24960] ERROR: pipe_put:
>-closedecoders/pnga2area-v1/huser/ldm/logs/ldm-mcidas.log-etc/SATANNOT-b
>etc/SATBANDdata/gempak/images/sat/GOES-10/4km/IR/IR_20051109_1800 write
>error

Assuming that the directory ~ldm/data/gempak/images/sat
writable by the ldm and that ~ldm/decoders contains the executable
pnga2area, this should work.  The first thing that I would do is
check to see that pnga2area is executable on your system:

<as 'ldm'>
file ~ldm/decoders/pnga2area

and then:

~ldm/decoders/pnga2area

If the program will not run, you have found the first problem.

If it is executable, check the directory permissions in
the output directory.

>The pqact.gempak_images entries look like this:
>
>MCIDAS  ^pnga2area Q.  (U[^ACXY1]) (.*) (.*)_IMG (0.65)um (.*)
>(........) (....)
>         PIPE      -close
>         decoders/pnga2area -v1 /huser/ldm/logs/ldm-mcidas.log
>         -a /huser/ldm/etc/SATANNOT -b /huser/ldm/etc/SATBAND
>         data/gempak/images/sat/\3/\5/VIS/VIS_\6_\7

This looks OK if all of the directories specified are correct.

re:
>There are no ldm_mcidas.log files being written.  Any ideas?

Yes.  It looks like your specification for were to log is using
a '1' (one) instead of an 'l' (ell):

         decoders/pnga2area -v1 /huser/ldm/logs/ldm-mcidas.log
                              ^____ you have a '1' (one) not an 'l' (ell)

>I am
>running  LDM 6.4.1 with GEMPAK 5.8.3a on a Linux.  Everything else seems
>to be working okay.
>
>Thank you,

No worries.

Cheers,