20050909: zlibg2gini source code and possible reason for small files

>From: Steve Wanzong <address@hidden>

Hi Steve,

>Is there any place that I can get the zlibg2gini source code?

Yes, it is available in the source code release of the ldm-mcidas
package:

machine:   ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user:      anonymous
pass:      address@hidden
directory: pub/ldm-mcidas
file:      ldm-mcidas.tar.Z  (a link to the current relase, v2004)

>I've
>gotten an executalbe which decodes the file smaller than the log
>would indicate.

Strange.  Do the images look bad?

Something to consider:

I have seen instances in the past where a site has two different
'pqact' actions that process the NIMAGE data.  One action uses
zlibg2gini to uncompress the images, and the second simply FILEs the
products.  If the target for both actions is the same file, the second
invocation will step on the first.  A smaller output file would,
therefore, result when the first action runs zlibg2gini and the second
FILEs the data.

The problem with the pqact FILE action is that processing of the
product is not logged.  Because of this, I wrote a simple Bourne shell
script to file the product AND log the fact that it was processed:

machine:   ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
user:      anonymous
pass:      address@hidden
directory: pub/ldm/scripts
file:      ldmfile.sh

'ldmfile.sh' is intended to be:

- copied to a directory in the PATH of the user running the LDM
- have its permissions changed to be executable
- edited to set the file to log to

An example pqact.conf entry for ldmfile.sh is:

#
# Zlib compressed NOAAPORT GOES-East/West GINI images -- FILE
NIMAGE  ^satz/ch[0-9]/.*/(.*)/([12][0-9])([0-9][0-9])([01][0-9])([0-3][0-9])
([0-2][0-9])([0-5][0-9])/(.*)/(.*km)/
        PIPE    -close
        util/ldmfile.sh data/gempak/images/sat/\8/\9/\1/\1_\2\3\4\5_\6\7

>Thanks,

No worries.

>From address@hidden  Sat Sep 10 05:51:34 2005

In this instance, I filed the image to a directory, waited several
minutes, ran the zlibg2gini converter on the image, and moved that into an
awips directory.  The decoder was then run on this image.

I should say that most of the imager products get decoded fine.  Its most
of the sounder products that we see the too small problem.

Tim Alberta is going to see if he can replicate the problem when he gets a
chance.

Thanks,
stw