20050422: building ldm-mcidas on Debian Linux

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert and Dave,

I logged onto climate.cod.edu and built the ldm-mcidas v2004 decoders
after defining needed environment variables.  The key to the successful
build was defining CC to be 'gcc' and FC to be 'g77'.  The build attempt
that Dave tried before did not define CC so 'configure' was defaulting
to use C89.

I put the environment variable definitions in
/home/ldm/ldm-mcidas/ldm-mcidas.environment so they can be used
in the future.

For "the files", the commands I used to set the environment variables were:

setenv CC         gcc
setenv CPPFLAGS   '-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran'
setenv CFLAGS     -O
setenv FC         g77
setenv FFLAGS     '-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic -ff90-intrinsics-hide'
setenv CXX        ''
setenv F90        ''
setenv CPP_LDM    -I/home/ldm/include
setenv LD_LDM     '-L/home/ldm/lib -lldm'
setenv CPP_MCIDAS -I/home/mcidas/include
setenv LD_MCIDAS  '-L/home/mcidas/lib -lmcidas'
setenv CPP_NETCDF -I/home/mcidas/include
setenv LD_NETCDF  '-L/home/mcidas/lib -lnetcdf'
setenv LD_X11     '-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11'

I also:

- created the /home/ldm/ldm-mcidas directory and put all ldm-mcidas
distributions
  under it

- installed the newly built ldm-mcidas decoders in /home/ldm/decoders

- copied /home/ldm/ldm-mcidas/ldm-mcidas-2004/etc/SAT* to /home/ldm/etc

- deleted obsolete ldm-mcidas decoders from /home/ldm/decoders

- turned on ldm-mcidas NLDN lightning decoding

- reregistered the WPRO and WPR6 schema in the SCHEMA file:

  <as 'mcidas'>
  cd ~mcidas/workdata
  dmap.k SCHEMA
  sche.k DCWPRO
  sche.k DCWPR6

  I did this because the versions in /home/data/mcidas/SCHEMA did not
  allow for the creation of MD files with enough columns to handle all
  of the profiler sites that are now reporting

- tweeked the scouring setup in /home/mcidas/workdata/mcscour.sh.  The
  changes were minor:

  - add scouring of MD files 101 - 120
  - add scouring of XCD files over the past 100 days (was 10)

Everything appears to be working correctly now.  Please check to make
sure you agree with this.

Recommendation:

- you are not rotating your ldm-mcidas log files, and they are getting
  very large.  I strongly advise you to setup rotation of the files
  in a crontab entry for 'ldm'.  Here is one example:

#
# Shift LDM-McIDAS log files
#
0 17 * * * bin/newlog logs/ldm-mcidas.log

  Since you are logging ldm-mcidas decoded products to different files, you
  will need to modify this example entry to match your setup.

FYI, I tried building a v2004 binary distribution of ldm-mcidas on our
Fedora Core 3 32-bit Linux machine and using it on climate.  The
proftomd and nldn2md decoders failed in the exact same way as the
binary distribution you had already grabbed.  Verdict:  Debian is
significantly different from RedHat and Fedore Core Linux.

Please let me know if you see anything amiss on climate.