20041104: format of GOES data available in IDD

>From: address@hidden

Hi Ying,

>I want to make it for sure about the format of GOES data downloaded by
>LDM. Is it of McIDAS area format?

1) The format of the images in the UNIWISC IDD datastream are PNG
   compressed McIDAS AREA files.  It is not a straight PNG compression,
   however.  The McIDAS AREA file headers are left uncompressed at the
   beginning of the product, the trailing "comment" fields are added just
   after the headers, and then the PNG compressed image data is added
   last.  The ldm-mcidas decoder 'pnga2area' is used to convert those
   images back into standard McIDAS AREA files.

   The AREA file format is described in the McIDAS Programmers Reference
   Manual:

   http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mug/prog_man/prog_man.html

   ldm-mcidas decoders are described at:

   http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/mcidd/index.html

2) The format of the images in the NIMAGE IDD datastream are Zlib compressed
   GINI images.  The GINI format is described in:

   Interface Control Document (ICD) for
   AWIPS-National Environmental Satellite, Data and Information Service (NESDIS)
   AA0130008

   The ldm-mcidas decoder 'zlibg2gini' is used to convert the Zlib-compressed
   GINI images to GINI format.

>In order to do another project, I need to integrate a component to read
>the data on Windows platform, which software do you recommend? It seems
>both IDV and VisAD can do the job. I'm using VisAD right now since it's
>smaller and easier for me to read the code.

IDV is built on top of VisAD, so either is a good choice.

>PS. I can not see the workshop webcast anymore.
>
>The link
>http://webcast.unidata.ucar.edu/ramgen/broadcast/workshop/workshop.rm
>doesn't work. When will the IDV session and GEMPAK session be avaiable
>online?

The workshops ended Tuesday afternoon.  We will be organizing them for
access over the coming days and announcing their availability to the
Unidata-maintained 'community' (address@hidden) email
list.

>Thank you very much and have a good day,

No worries.