20040331: LDM-McIDAS Decoders - RedHat 9 - configure/load problem

>From: "John Hobbie" <address@hidden>

Hi John,

>Institution: National Scientific Balloon Facility / Meteorology Dept.
>Package Version: 2003
>Operating System: RedHat 9
>Hardware Information: Dell i686 dual processor

>Inquiry: I am doing a clean install on a new machine, and am having
>problems with ldm-mcidas.  There appear to be several problems.  One
>had to do with X11 libraries.  I redirected the stdout to a file,
>configure.out, and you can see at the bottom where it is missing an
>environmental directive, LD-X11.

The log files you meant to send never made it to us.

>I added it to the cshrc file
>(cshrc.vis  -- commented out here) and it still had trouble finding X11
>libraries.  I also noted that it referenced X11R5, whereas X11R6
>appears to contain the X11 libraries.
>
>The other problem appears to be problems with locating certain standard
>c headers.  Again look at my configure.out, and the file, config.log,
>generated by the ./configure command.
>
>I was trying several variants of that environmental variable, but I am
>not that familiar with the ld command syntax and function.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions.

Even though building the ldm-mcidas decoders from source is possible,
the easiest thing for you to do is use a binary distribution of the
ldm-mcidas decoders.  RedHat 9 can use the binary decoders built on
RedHat 8.  You can get this distribution using anonymous FTP
from our FTP server, ftp.unidata.ucar.edu:

<login as 'ldm'>
mkdir ldm-mcidas
cd ldm-mcidas

ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/binary/linux8_2.4-i686
  binary
  get ldm-mcidas-2003.tar.Z
  quit

tar xvzf ldm-mcidas-2003.tar.Z

Then do the following:

- copy the decoders you need/want from the ~ldm/ldm-mcidas/ldm-mcidas-2003/bin
  directory to ~ldm/decoders

- copy the files SATANNOT and SATBAND from the
  ~ldm/ldm-mcidas/ldm-mcidas-2003/etc directory to ~ldm/etc

- integrate the decoding actions you need from those contained in:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/mcidd/ldm-mcidas-pqact.conf.all

into your ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf file.

I pointed you to the online example copy of ldm-mcidas decoders (the
URL above) since the ones in the binary ldm-mcidas distribution are
not as uptodate as they should be.

By the way, the complete set of instructions for getting a binary
ldm-mcidas distribution; installing it; and configuring it can be
found in our LDM-MCIDAS web pages:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/mcidd/index.htlm

Please let me know if you would like guidance on the setting up of your
pqact.conf entries.

>From address@hidden  Wed Mar 31 14:11:03 2004

Tom --

Thanks for the help.  Worked just fine.  I wasn't sure if there were
some RH 8 vs 9 issues so I had decided to use the source code.

Don't know what happened to the attachments, but I will attach them to
this and you can evaluate them to see if a change is necessary ref. the
X11 libraries as well as not picking up some standard c headers.

Thanks again,
Hobbie