20010919: ldm-mcidas--Attn:Tom

>From: "Patrick O'Reilly" <address@hidden>

Patrick,

>the directory_where_your_ldm-mcidas_decoders_write_data would be the
>directories specified in pqact.conf where data is being written?

Yes, where the ldm-mcidas decoders write their output.

>In mine there are a couple:
>
>pnga2area -d /space/data/mcidas -r \1,\2
>pnga2area /space/ldm/gempak/nport/SOUNDER/\3/CTP/CTP_\4_\5
>
>so I assume put ROUTE.SYS SYSKEY.TAB in /space/data/mcidas and
>/space/ldm/gempak/nport/SOUNDER?

In the second case, the files SYSKEY.TAB and ROUTE.SYS are not used.
In the first case they are, so you should copy those files to
/space/data/mcidas. There is not need to copy them to
/space/ldm/gempak/nport/SOUNDER.

>Also in the ldm-mcidas-pqact.conf, I did see the area for decoding the
>MCIDAS data stream for GEMPAK, but only CIMSS data.  Maybe this question is
>better for someone else, but I am not sure how/where GOES VIS/WV/IR
>satellite data is decoded if at all for GEMPAK and McIDAS.

The decoding for McIDAS use is the first pnga2area invocation listed above:

pnga2area -d /space/data/mcidas -r \1,\2

(actually, McIDAS can use the structure mandated by GEMPAK as well.  We can
get into that after you get things setup.)

This takes care of ALL images in the Unidata-Wisconsin (ldm feed type MCIDAS)
datastream.

Actions recommended for GEMPAK can be found in the GEMPAK web pages.

>I assume I am
>receiving this on the IDD via the UNIDATA data feed.

The satellite imagery is received through the IDD.  It is contained in the
MCIDAS feed.  The UNIDATA feed type is the combination of DDPLUS, IDS, HRS,
and MCIDAS, so yes, the images are part of UNIDATA.

>Other than that, the
>setup you wrote up was very helpful, thanks again.

Please don't hesitate to ask further questions if things are unclear.  Getting
you setup correctly will lessen your questions/problems AND it will cut
down on support that may be required later.

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Sep 19 11:06:30 2001
>Subject: Re: 20010919: ldm-mcidas--Attn:Tom

Tom,

The pqact.conf on the GEMPAK page was so small I think I missed it! I looked
back and voila! there it was.  I added it to my pqact.conf and we'll see if
satellite data starts showing up.  Thanks!

Patrick