20010727: binary ldm-mcidas decoders for Linux (cont.)

>From: Wayne Bresky <address@hidden>

Wayne,

>Now that I have dowloaded the binaries and unpacked the tar file, is there
>anything else that I need to do?

Other than:

o put the decoders in a directory in 'ldm's PATH
o put appropriate entries in your LDM's pqact.conf file
o make sure that the files ROUTE.SYS, SYSKEY.TAB, and SCHEMA exist
  in the directory in which you want ldm-mcidas decoders to create
  output data files AND are readable and writable by the user 'ldm'
o do an 'ldmadmin pqactcheck' as 'ldm'
o and do an 'ldmadmin pqactHUP' (assuming that there were no errors from
  the 'ldmadmin pqactcheck')

no.

You will, however, need to setup ADDE datasets to access those and XCD
created files.  This is done from the 'mcidas' account by:

o making sure that the 'mcidas' account can "see" the data files.  This
  means that there are viable McIDAS REDIRECTions to the files.  One
  does this by:

  o cd ~mcidas/data
  o cp EXAMPLE.NAM LOCAL.NAM
  o edit LOCAL.NAM and set the directory locations for the various files
    to match how you have setup ldm-mcidas and XCD decoders to write the
    data files
  o run:

    cd ~mcidas/workdata
    redirect.k REST LOCAL.NAM

o making sure that the ADDE datasets are defined in the 'mcidas' account.
  This is done as the user 'mcidas' by:

  o cd ~mcidas/data
  o cp DSSERVE.BAT LSSERVE.BAT
  o edit LSSERVE.BAT and remove or add definitions for any datasets that
    you don't or do have
  o cd ~mcidas/workdata
  o define the McIDAS string XCDDATA to locate the directory where
    XCD decoders (and ldm-mcidas decoders) are creating their output
    data files.  For instance, if you are decoding data into /data/mcidas,
    then the invocation would be:

    cd ~mcidas/workdata
    te.k XCDDATA \"/data/mcidas

  o make current the datasets defined in LSSERVE.BAT:

    cd ~mcidas/workdata
    batch.k LSSERVE.BAT

At this point, you should be able to "see" the data using McIDAS ADDE.  For
instance, the following should give a listing of surface hourly point source
data files if they are being decoded:

cd ~mcidas/workdata
dsinfo.k P RTPTSRC
ptlist.k RTPTSRC/SFCHOURLY FORM=FILE ALL

Please let me know if the above (or the more complete instructions in the
McIDAS web pages) don't get you going.

Tom