20000924: upgrading to the ldm-mcidas pnga2area decoder

>From: Erick Lorenz <address@hidden>

Erick,

re: Your 'make install.mcxall' should now work as expected.
>Your efforts worked perfectly.  The make install.mcxall
>completed.

OK.

>I now have both the ldm and mcidas running on ATM20.  The ldm is perking
>away and as soon as I remembered to modify the permissions in
>/home/data/xcd, files started showing up there.

Super.

>The same can't be said for /home/data/mcidas where I expect
>AREA files to come in.  I have gone over all the messages that we exchanged
>the last time I did a major install and found a few things like putting
>lwtoa3 and batch.k in ~ldm/decoders and SCHEMA in /home/data/xcd with a
>link to data/mcidas.
>Here is my pqact.conf entry:
>
>MCIDAS ^(LWTOA3 .*)
>       PIPE            -close
>       lwtoa3 -d /var/data/mcidas
>       -l /usr/local/ldm/logs/mcidas.log -xv

As my note to you on September 11/12 indicated, the compression for images
in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream changed.  The last transmission
for the delta-encoded images (those that get decoded with lwtoa3) was
on 17Z on Friday, September 15 (the transmission was turned off at 18Z
so the 17Z images were the last to be sent).  You need to upgrade to
use the new ldm-mcidas image decoder, pnga2area.  I thought that you
were well underway to doing this since you downloaded the binary version
(for Linux 2.2 kernels) of latest ldm-mcidas release on September 19.

>Besides no AREA files I also notice that no mcidas.log
>file is being built in /usr/local/ldm/logs

That is because lwtoa3 is never being run.

>In our prior discussions I found where I needed to run
>some batch files under McIDAS to get XCD running.  Are
>there similar ones for AREA files?

No, what you need to do is pretty simple (in this order):

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin stop

<as 'mcidas'>
<setup use of the routing table for the CIMSS products (added to
the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream at the end of June):

cd ~mcidas/workdata
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
   <user> anonymous
   <pass> your email address
   cd pub/mcidas
   get CIMSS.BAT
   quit
redirect.k ADD ROUTE.SYS \"/var/data/mcidas
batch.k CIMSS.BAT

<as 'ldm'>
o copy the pnga2area decoder to the same directory that lwtoa3 exists
  in.  We recommend that this be /usr/local/ldm/decoders.  Note that
  this directory must be in the PATH of the user running the LDM (which
  is typically 'ldm') before the LDM is (re)started.

o copy SATANNOT and SATBAND from the etc directory of the latest ldm-mcidas
  distribution to the /usr/local/ldm/etc directory (same location as ldmd.conf
  and pqact.conf).

o change your pqact.conf entry:

change:

MCIDAS ^(LWTOA3 .*)
       PIPE     -close
       lwtoa3 -d /var/data/mcidas
       -l /usr/local/ldm/logs/mcidas.log -xv

to:

MCIDAS  ^pnga2area Q. (..) (.*) (.*) (.*) (.*) (........) (....)
        PIPE    -close
        pnga2area -vxl /usr/local/ldm/logs/mcidas.log
        -a /usr/local/ldm/etc/SATANNOT
        -b /usr/local/ldm/etc/SATBAND
        -d /var/data/mcidas -r \1,\2

(mind the tabs!)

o restart the LDM

  ldmadmin start

>After I set the permissions on /home/data/mcidas correctly a zero length
>SYSKEY.TAB showed up there.  I can't remember if that files is supposed to
>generated automatically so I tried copying the one from ~mcidas/data.

You did the correct thing in copying ~mcidas/data/SYSKEY.TAB.  You must
make sure that it has permissions such that the user running your LDM
can read AND write it.

Tom