20000905: ldm-mcidas make problems on AIX 4.2 (cont.)

>From: address@hidden

Bill,

>Hi again...it's been a very nice Labor Day vacation.  Hope yours was
>as good.

It was _excellent_!  Three days of hiking, hot tubing, BBQs, and not
worrying about work.  Live was good.

>BUT....I gonna need some more suggestions

OK.

re: libnetcdf.a

>Directory def. looks ok.  Everything is readable and executable in
>/home/ldm/netcdf...and the lib is there.  ./configure had originally
>nattered at me when I specified an incorrect location for the libnetcdf.a
>so I figure that all pointers work here.

OK, so the failure is an indication that the netCDF library is not up
to the rev level that is needed.

>OK...I have a version of netcdf (like 2.3 or something) from 1997.  So
>I went and got the latest version.  ./configure, make, and after many
>minutes of making we get:
>
>Returning to directory /home/ldm/netcdf/netcdf-3.4/src
>
>Making `all' in directory /home/ldm/netcdf/netcdf-3.4/src/cxx
>
>        c++ -c -O  -I../libsrc  -DNDEBUG netcdf.cc
>In file included from netcdf.hh:16,
>                 from netcdf.cc:12:
>ncvalues.hh:13: iostream.h: No such file or directory
>ncvalues.hh:17: strstream.h: No such file or directory
>make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
>
>Stop.
>make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
>
>Stop.
>make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 2.
>
>Stop.

Since the errors you are running into are in the build of the C++
interface, you could skip this part.  This can be done by making sure
that the environment variable CXX is defined as the empty string.
Check your environment:

env

and define CXX to be the empty string:

setenv CXX

Then, you will have to start from scratch again:

make distclean
./configure
make
make install

If you really want to address this fully, then I will send your problem
to someone more intimately concerned with netCDF matters.

re: making just pnga2area and area2png

>> cd decode
>> make area2png pnga2area
>> make pnga2area.test

>This is getting to be a viable alternative.  I don't wish to kludge this
>way, just because it ought to be worthwhile to have a working copy of
>netcdf going.  But we may need to expedite this process.

Try doing the netCDF build with no CXX defined in your environment.
This should get you a viable netCDF library.  Then, do the full build
of ldm-mcidas and you should be going.  If you still have problems, I
am happy to logon as the user you are trying to build ldm-mcidas as
(most likely the user that is running your LDM) and have a go at it.

re: After you make the new decoder, you will need to:

>have a party.

Yes, exactly! :-)

Tom