19991209: Getting Numerical Products

>From: Erick Lorenz (address@hidden) <address@hidden>

Erick,

>I am trying to configure my LDM-McIDAS system to receive numerical products.

LDM-MCIDAS system?  Do you mean that you are attempting to get McIDAS
to display model output?

>As near as I can figure I am supposed to install the decoders-2.3.5 package.

If you are really referring to McIDAS, then the decoders package has nothing
to do with getting/decoding the gridded data.  The ingesting is done by
the LDM getting HRS products; the decoding is done by McIDAS-XCD.  It
could be that decoding of the gridded products has not been enabled on
your new ingest system (since you moved things over to your DEC alpha (true?)).
This would be done by:

o having the 'xcd_run HRS' action _not_ commented in ~ldm/etc/pqact.conf
o becoming 'mcidas' and:

  cd workdata
  decinfo.k SET DMGRID ACTIVE

Assuming that the REDIRECTions for McIDAS GRID files are correct and that
the only thing wrong was that the gridded data decoding was not turned
on (it is sent out this way in the distribution), then you should start
getting data.

We can address the rest of your message as soon as we are sure that
we are talking about the same things.

>When I ran make on decoders I got the following message:
>
>./configure: ERROR: The following variables need values:
>
>VARIABLE     DESCRIPTION                EXAMPLE
>--------     -------                    -------
>CPP_NETCDF   netCDF header              -I/usr/local/unidata/include
>LD_NETCDF    netCDF library             -L/usr/local/unidata/lib -lnetcdf
>CPP_UDUNITS  udunits header             -I/usr/local/unidata/include
>
>Not finding a local copy of either netCDF or udunits I endevored to install
>them both.  The netCDF install seemed to go OK but when I ran the
>suggested command for udunits:
>
>    (./configure && make all install clean) >&! log &
>
>no peer directories such as bin and lib were created.  The end of the
>log files contains the following
>making `all' in directory /usr/local/udunits-1.11.7/src/udunits
>
>/bin/cc -c -O -I../lib -I../port/misc  udunits.c
>/bin/cc -o udunits -O udunits.o -L/usr/local/udunits-1.11.7/src/lib -
>ludunits -L/usr/local/udunit
>s-1.11.7/src/port/misc -ludport -ly
>ld:
>Unresolved:
>fmod
>ldexp
>log10
>modf
>pow
>floor
>ceil
>*** Exit 1
>Stop.
>*** Exit 1
>Stop.
>*** Exit 1
>Stop.
>My questions are:
>
>1.  Am I on the right track for getting model data/numerical products?
>
>2.  What am I missing in the udunits build?
>
>Erick Lorenz, LAWR, UCDavis

Tom Yoksas