19991207: FSL netCDF profiler to McIDAS MD converter

>From: address@hidden

Hongming,

>Thanks for your help.
>
>One thing I need to know is if we can directly  ftp MD format data
>of real-time hourly profiler data from your site.
>If so, we won't decode them again.

No, Unidata maintains no archive (realtime or historical) of any type
of data.  We do have most data as realtime sets, but since we are not
an operational shop, we always decline to give people access to the
data (since we can not guarantee that the data will be there when
people want it).

>Otherwise, what is ftp site for hourly profiler data (NC
>Format) in FSL?

Since I don't know this right off, you should check out the FSL web
page links I sent you previously.

>You know, I tried to contact to the guy in FSL, but he
>didn't give me any feedback.

I am suprised that you didn't get a response from FSL.

One thing that you could explore is the possibility of having FSL feed
you the netCDF files via LDM-to-LDM transfers.  This is the way that
Unidata sites get the data: FSL feeds a injection machine that, in
turn, feeds several top level relay nodes in our IDD.  Given that FSL
is setup to feed our machine via IDD. it seems like they might be
willing to feed your machine as well.  This would require that you
setup an LDM on your end and arrange with FSL to allow you to request
the data.

Then again, FSL may have a setup that allows FTPs from other NOAA
groups.  To find out for sure, you will have to open a discourse with
the appropriate person(s) at FSL.  In order to get you going, I am
providing the contact information for Joan Brundage of FSL:

                Name  Joan Brundage
         Institution  NOAA
          Department  Forecast Systems Lab
   Street Address #1  325 Broadway
   Street Address #2  FS3
City, State, Zip, Co  Boulder  CO 80303
              email:  Joan Brundage <address@hidden>

>Thanks,

I hope that the above helps.

>Unidata Support <address@hidden> on 12/06/99 03:56:14 PM
>To:   Hongming Qi/PRC/ssd/US
>cc:   address@hidden
>Subject:  19991206: FSL netCDF profiler to McIDAS MD converter
>
>>From: address@hidden
>
>Hongming,
>
>>Could you tell if you have profiler data in MD format, which is McIDAS
>>format? Or do you have relative decode program from profiler data format
>>BURF to McIDAS format?
>
>We provide our sites with a routine that convert FSL wind profiler data
>in netCDF format to McIDAS MD format.  You can get profiler data from
>FSL in netCDF format, so this may help you out.
>
>The package of software that can be used to do the conversion is
>referred to as ldm-mcidas.  It is freely available from our FTP server,
>ftp.unidata.ucar.edu, by anonymous FTP.  Binary distributions are
>available under pub/binary for selected platforms (the file you will
>need will be named ldm-mcidas.tar.Z in the appropriate subdirectory) or
>in source form from pub/ldm-mcidas.  If you decide to grab the source
>code, you will need to have the netCDF and LDM software packages
>installed to build it since the decoder, proftomd, links against
>these.  These packages are also freely available by anonymous FTP from
>the same server.  The netCDF package can be found in pub/netcdf; the
>LDM package can be found in pub/LDM5.
>
>>Thanks,
>
>I hope that this helps you out.
>
>>Hongming Qi