[IDV #LEL-566313]: Creating a time loop from collection of GOES-16 netcdf files.

The problem is that the time dimension of this dataset is not explicit. So,
the aggregation in the time axis is
difficult. If you only deal with the recent datasets, we do have those
products available from our ADDE server and
it is easy to create any animation. If you want to deal with the archived
data,  the easy way to do is to download
and install the McV: https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/software/v/download/

The McV is an extension of the IDV, and it has a local ADDE server
included. After installation, you need to learn how to
add the files to your local ADDE server (online document available) and it
will be a lot easier from there.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Yuan

address@hidden> wrote:

> New Client Reply: Creating a time loop from collection of GOES-16 netcdf
> files.
>
> Thanks.  This is helpful as a quick solution, but it is somewhat tedious to
> have to select the field for each file if the list of files is long.  I'm
> working on a way to combine the files into groups of five with a time
> dimension added.  Five seems like the ideal size so the files aren't too
> big.  Then by opening the new files in IDV I can hopefully make loops
> quickly with lengths of 5, 10, 15, 20, etc...
>
> I'm using using python and NCO operations.  The only thing I need to know
> is what information IDV needs.  The GOES-16 operations files have a lot of
> information, some of which probably isn't needed.  I assume it doesn't need
> the data quality flags.  I assume it does need all the specified lat-lon
> bounds and x y coordinate data, plus some other numbers to calculate the
> projection.  I don't know what other metadata needs to be included.
>
> I also need to know what it looks for in terms of the time dimension.  Each
> file has a variable called "t", which is actually the mid-point of two time
> bounds.  It is strangely interpreted as a coordinate variable, but not a
> dimension.  I assume this is why IDV can't automatically interpret date
> from multiple files as a time series.
>
> I attached a printout of the ncdump from one of the files called
> "OR_ABI-L2-ACHTF-M6_G16_s20221400900207_e20221400909515_c20221400913123".
> You can see it has a lot of information.  In summary, I'm just asking what
> is and isn't needed for IDV, as well as how it looks for the time
> dimension.
>

> Ticket Details
> Ticket ID: LEL-566313
> Department: Support IDV