[IDV #JPU-170255]: NASA authentication difficulties (Tyreeq and two other students).

> Hi Yuan.
> Three student researchers had trouble today, trying to load the attached
> bundle.
> So you will see a support ticket from Tyreeq. This is more explanation of
> that ticket.
>

> The error: Unable to connect to the two NASA datasets. (satellite imagery and
> topography were OK).
>
> Students created NASA earthdata credentials, and (I thought) typing those in
> to an authentication dialog would fix it. Zero of three had success.
> Digging in, we found that at least one had no authentication.xml despite
> having interacted with the authentication dialog.
> Finally, I was able to get all 3 moving, by manually sending them my
> authientication.xml file (attached) and having them put it manually in
> .unidata/idv/DefaultIdv.
>
> Surprising, because I do not see my password in the plaintext of it.
>

> I wish my old approach of embedding credentials in the URL worked, but it
> does not seem to work any more.
> (Example URL: dods://mapes:address@hidden/dods/M2TMNXINT)
>
> There was an error loading the data:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>

> Best wishes and thanks,
> Brian

Hi Brian,

The authientication.xml file will not be generated if you do not check the
"save password" checkbox, this explains why some
students do not have this authentication file.

I tried your account on my Mac several times, and not seeing any problem. So,
students might not have their credentials setup
correctly.

The URL with embedding credentials not working is likely the security setting
on the sever side, it used to work but not anymore.

Yuan

Ticket ID: JPU-170255
Department: Support IDV