[IDV #YIW-865986]: IDV locking up

> Hello,
>
> Over the past few months my IDV has been increasingly locking up.  One
> thing I have noticed is that the Java Platform SE binary is chewing up a
> lot of resources.
>
> I went to an older page of yours (
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/5_2/docs/userguide/Faq.html) and
> tried to view http://localhost:8788/stack.html    , but that no longer
> appears to be working.
>
> I am running the latest version of IDV (5.7, 64 bit) on Windows 10
> Enterprise with 16GB RAM on a 64 bit operating system, so I don't think I
> am lacking anything in hardware capabilities.
>
> Any help you could provide would be much appreciated!
>
> --
> *Scott J Landes*
> *Supervisor/Air Quality Meteorologist*
> *Meteorology and Prescribed Fire Unit*
> *Technical Services Program*
>

> 303-692-3255
> address@hidden
>

> https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/apcd-covid-19
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.colorado.gov_pacific_cdphe_apcd-2Dcovid-2D19&d=DwMFaQ&c=sdnEM9SRGFuMt5z5w3AhsPNahmNicq64TgF1JwNR0cs&r=a9zaj5_uvH06PoaWZKLTasTu8aqqW6GWFNsiO1hIm24&m=rhNkGQmtzhY_-pDT6V3boCXvwXf4cDNO9uhs6ghHlfk&s=LR4lae0OKAA_P8y72grxhc4ezi0FtkpXOcmwI1j87VE&e=>
>
> *"Are you curious about ground-level ozone in Colorado? Visit our ozone
> webpage
> <https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/categories/services-and-information/environment/air-quality/ozone-information>**
> learn more.*"

Hi Scott,

Without more information, I can only suggest checking the memory usage and
setting in the IDV.

Edit > Preference, then the System tab, and check the memory allocation.

Too much or too little memory can certainly cause the IDV to lock up. The
default memory allocation
is around 3g, and you can increase to 5 or 6 g depend on the complexity of
displays in the IDV.

Yuan

Ticket ID: YIW-865986
Department: Support IDV