[IDV #SYH-214564]: Hardware Acceleration Issue with IDV_5.7: SOLVED!

> Full Name: Karl  Hudnut
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: IDV_5.7 and IDV_u1
> Operating System: CentOS 8.x
> Hardware: HP-8200 Desktop System
> Description of problem:
>
> I hope this information can be useful to you and your users.
>
> I kept getting a core dump when I ran IDV_5.7. I tried IDV_5.7u1 to see
> if, maybe, it would work. Then I started trying on separate hardware and
> I did not get the core dump. I kept on keeping on and finally found this
> in a seemingly un-related package: export  LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1
>
> The google search that brought me success was this one: "Problematic
> frame: C  [i965_dri.so+0x31601d]"
>
> One of the URL's I got for that search is this:
>
> https://github.com/gephi/gephi/issues/1064
>
> (As I say, it's unrelated except it does involve the same i965_dri.so
> library).
>
> So it seems there is a bug or feature in the i965_dri.so library for the
> graphics acceleration in the CPU core. (Something like that.) My CPU is
> Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400S.
>
> Bottom line:
>
> export  LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1
>
> This turns off hardware acceleration and I can run IDV_5.7 without the
> core dump.
>
> Hope this is helpful to you and your users.
>
> --
> Karl Hudnut
> address@hidden
> (Former COSMIC staff Sys Admin, BTW.)

Hi Karl,

Thanks for sharing this information.
When the user reported a similar issue, I would ask them to update the video
card driver and
it solves the problem with a 90% chance. I will try to ask them to set this env
parameter next time
to see any more luck.

Yuan

Ticket ID: SYH-214564