[IDV #AWD-355686]: IDV and HRRR Smoke

> I would like to be able to plot the new smoke field from the HRRR. The
> smoke fields are only available on NOMADS on hybrid levels. Is it possible
> to plot these in a 3 dimensional isosurface method?
>
> Here is an example index file. The smoke fields are the MASSDEN variable.
>
> https://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/hrrr/prod/hrrr.20201214/conus/hrrr.t00z.wrfnatf00.grib2.idx
>
> Thank you.
>
> *Mark Loeffelbein*
> Science and Technology Infusion Division
> National Weather Service - Western Region Headquarters
> 801-524-5131 x258
> Forwards to cell phone during telework.
> VOIP 734258

Hi Mark,

The answer is yes, you should be able to plot the smoke field from HRRR. In the
Unidata Thredds Data Server, there
is HRRR dataset from GSD that does include this variable (see attached). You
need to be careful to plot this 3D isosurface
display as the resolution is very high in this dataset. I did a sampling every
four points to plot the whole CONUS region, and you
can do no sampling if you spatially subset it to a smaller region.

Yuan

Ticket ID: AWD-355686
Department: Support IDV