[netCDF #HDB-252022]: idv and netcdf point data file

> Dear ladies and gentlemen,
>
> Attached is a netcdf point data file, which was produced via the netcdf4
> python API on LINUX UBUNTU 18 LTS according to this template
> http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conventions/cf-conventions-1.7/cf-conventions.html#point-data
>  Example H.1. Point data.
>
> IDV (version 5.4, Windows 7) does not like to display it,  "no gridded data
> found", then offers "Point Cloud Data" and that's it.
>
> [cid:image003.jpg@01D6A31A.AC1B3630]
> Then I select this
> [cid:image005.jpg@01D6A31A.AC1B3630]
> And get this
> [cid:image007.jpg@01D6A31A.AC1B3630]
>

> Maybe you see at once, which mistakes I have made writing the file.
>
> Kind regards,
> Helfried Scheifinger

Dr. Scheifinger,

Actually, your data is not compliant with the CF 1.7. The good news is it is
very close to, you only
need to add one more attribute (coordinates )to the temperature variable:

<variable name="Temperature" shape="obs" type="double">
    <attribute name="long_name" value="Temperature" />
    <attribute name="coordinates" value="time lat lon alt" />
    <attribute name="units" value="deg C" />
</variable>

The CF document is:

https://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conventions/cf-conventions-1.7/cf-conventions.html#point-data

After this change, you can load it to the IDV as "netCDF/GEMPAK Point Data",
and create a display as attached.

Yuan

> Dr. Helfried Scheifinger
> Section Kundenservice
> Division Klima
> ZAMG - Zentralanstalt für Meteorologie und Geodynamik
> 1190 Wien, Hohe Warte 38
> Tel.: +43 1 36026 2226
> Fax: +43 1 36026 72
> E-Mail: address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>