[IDV #WOO-516357]: VISSR/VAS (GOES-7 and earlier) AREA files projection problems

> I am sill confused about the processes.
> Does ISL support converting AREA to netcdf with lat/lon directly?
> If I want to import goes07.1988.257.2101.AREA_IR and export to
> goes07.1988.257.2101.AREA_IR.nc
> What should I do?

If you do not have any experience with IDV, it will be a little challenge for
you
to do this job. If you do want to use the IDV, I would suggest you learn it
first. This is
a relatively easy task for the IDV to convert the AREA to netCDF, but difficult
for me
to explain any details unless you have some knowledge of the IDV.

Yuan

> Unidata IDV Support <address@hidden> ? 2020?6?17? ??
> ??12:32???
>
> > > I come from National Taiwan University and my research is about typhoon .
> > > I am now interested about the hurricanes in North Altantic and Eastern
> > > Pacific.
> > > My goal is converting AREA files into netcdf with lat/lon grids and using
> > > python to output image.
> > > So I want to do the bash job to process many files in same time.
> > > Thank you.
> > >
> > Hi Ben,
> >
> > One thing still confuses me is that IDV can generate the image directly,
> > why to go an extra step
> > to generate the NC file and then using Python to create images.
> >
> > Anyway, the procedures in the IDV is through the IDV script ISL. Here is
> > the information about ISL in the following URL:
> >
> > https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/isl/index.html
> >
> > In the IDV, you can run the ISL in a command line as:
> >
> > runIDV /home/idv/isl/basic1.isl
> >
> > and you can setup a bash job to do it offscreen.
> >
> > Here is a example of generating output:

> > <isl debug="true" loop="1" offscreen="true" sleep="60.0minutes">
> >   <bundle clear="true" file="${islpath}/aaaaa.xidv" wait="true"/>
> >   <export file="${islpath}/aaatest" what="netcdf"
> > display="class:ucar.unidata.idv.control.ContourPlanViewControl"/>
> >   <image file="${islpath}/aaaaa.png"/>
> > </isl>
> >
> > In this ISL example, you generate an aaaaa.xidv bundle that is a simple
> > contour plan view display of one of your data. If you need to do
> > multiple files, you can use setfiles command like:
> >
> > <isl debug="true" offscreen="false">
> >     <bundle file="test.xidv">
> >         <setfiles datasource="datasource1" file="file for first data
> > source"/>
> >         <setfiles datasource="datasource2" file="file for 2nd data
> > source"/>
> >     </bundle>
> >     <image file="test.png"/>
> > </isl>
> >
> > Well, there is a learning process, let me know if you need help.
> >
> > Yuan
> >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: WOO-516357
> > Department: Support IDV
> > NOTE: All email exchanges with Unidata User Support are recorded in the
> > Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through
> > the web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in
> > this way, you must let us know in each email you send to us.

Ticket ID: WOO-516357
Department: Support IDV