[IDV #CCC-568714]: idv can't open

> Well, I created another ticket since I thought I made a mistake by
> replying to your message but it works.
> So, before asking my questions;
> I'm looking for future dated forecast data over Europe that's why I'm
> using GFS dataset yet there is no future data or i couldn't find it
> yet. I'm still trying to puzzle idv out for days by now. What i'd like
> to do is creating a q-vector analysis map and isentropic analysis map
> for my presentation on May 27th.

Sorry my reply comes late for you presentation. We have a Memorial long weekend.

> 1. I found GFS isentropic analysis maps (pot temp from theta and winds
> using by GFS 0.5 degree analysis dataset, and interestingly there are
> two options with the same name under the field selector menu, but only
> the upper one is working. Same for the GFS 0.25-degree dataset is not
> working at all) however future dates are not included. Should i
> download GFS forecast data from the website or is there any other way
> inside idv?

In the IDV, you can access the GFS data with future dates.

See the attached image, you should select Best Time Series and it provides you
the
data from past to the future.

> 2. I couldn't find any q-vector analysis but in Jim Steenburgh's
> lecture slides it says that there is a q-vector analysis in bundles.
> (http://www.inscc.utah.edu/~steenburgh/classes/5110/lecture_notes/Q-vectors.pdf)

The Q vector is a jython formula: qvec(S,V). You can call formula from Formula
> Grids > Define a grid diagnostic,
when another window popup, you can enter this formula, and select the theta to
be S and wind field to be V.

The best option is a formal two days training, how many students in your
institute using
IDV, is it possible for your University to host a workshop?

Yuan

> As i mentioned, i've watched some youtube videos and read some parts
> of unidata idv workshop pdf, so I'm open to any other source about
> idv. Thank you a lot.

Ticket ID: CCC-568714
Department: Support IDV