[IDV #RLA-566527]: IDV for point data scatter plot

> Dear IDV Development Team,
>
> I’m currently working in the Data Assimilation team at NCAR. I have some
> netCDF point observation data files (as opposed to gridded data files) and
> would like to plot them using IDV.
>
> The structure of my netCDF file is as follows:
>
> dimensions:
>
> obs = #number_of_obs;
>
> variables:
>
> float time(obs);
>
> double lat(obs);
>
> double lon(obs);
>
> double moisture(obs);
>

> Currently, with IDV, I'm only able to scatterplot the location of the
> observations (see below);
>
> [image: Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 2.19.37 PM.png]
>
> However, I would want to a scatterplot of observations with colors
> indicating their relative values, similar to the plot below (produced with
> Python):
> [image: python plot.png]
>
> I have gone through the documentation but I have not found the option to do
> so. Could you tell me if IDV is able to display scatter plot of point
> observation data with colors associated with the observation values? If
> not, do you happen to know if there are any GUI tools that can plot netCDF
> point observation data files like the one produced with Python above?
>
> Thank you,
> Jason

Hi Jason,

The point data scatter plot is not supported in the current release. One option
is to use "Gridded Fields" that
basically interpolate all point into a 2D gridded field, and you can do the
scatter plot from there.

Yuan

Ticket ID: RLA-566527
Department: Support IDV