[IDV #DAZ-197183]: IDV very slow response time in map pane upon zooming or translating

> Hi,
>
> Hopefully we can finally pin down the problem.
>
> PC SPECS:
> - Windows 10 x64 (fairly-recent fresh install)
> - Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 1801 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical
> Processor(s)
> - 4GB RAM
> - Intel HD Graphics 4000 (up-to-date drivers)
> - Java 64 bit (V8 Update 201; build 1.8.0_201-b09)
> - Plenty of free hard-drive space

> - I used to be able to use Unidata programs with no problems, but for over a
> year now, I’ve rarely been able to use Unidata IDV due to it responding very
> slowly. This same problem occurs in AWIPS and McIDAS-V, whereas before, they
> were working fine also. After starting IDV, with no data being loaded, any
> attempt to zoom or translate results in a significant delayed response
> (upwards of 5+ seconds for one action).
>
> INVESTIGATIVE STEPS/REMEDIES I’VE TRIED:
> - Uninstalling/Reinstalling
> - Installing an older version (that was released at a time I know that it was
> working properly)
> - Temporarily disabling Anti-Virus (Windows Defender)
> - The program is allowed through the Windows Firewall
> - Disabling all background maps (no improvement)
> - Creating a new map pane
> - Deleting the .unidata folder in my Users/<username> folder before running
> - In preferences, modified rendering and data-reading thread counts
> - Tried adding “-Dprism.order=sw” to the batch file (wasn’t 100% sure what it
> would do, just tried it though)
> - Changing to D3D Rendering for Java3D via the batch file (Console then
> states: “Java 3D: Unrecognized renderer: d3d”)
>
> If there is anything else recommended to try, I’d appreciate the help.
>
> Thanks,
> Kyle

Hi Kyle,

Did you check the memory allocation? You can try to set it to around 1G to see
if any improvement.

Other than that, this computer is old and with window 10 on it, probably not
much left for the application.

Yuan

Ticket ID: DAZ-197183
Department: Support IDV