[IDV #YGH-399796]: Attempting to Install IDV on Raspberry Pi 3B+

> > Hello,
> >
> > I am attempting to install IDV on my Raspberry Pi 3B+ computer to use
> > it as a very mobile meteorology workstation, but this is posing some
> > unique issues. My computer has an ARM-architecture processor and uses
> > a 32-bit Debian OS called Raspbian, which is Linux-based (I'm sure I'm
> > misusing terms, please forgive my ignorance). However, your Linux IDV
> > installers are only for Linux on an x86 architecture processor such as on
> > a desktop computer. I tried both the Linux options on the IDV Download
> > and Installation page just to be sure. Is there any solution? Are there
> > any versions portable to my computer that haven't been added to the page?
> >
> > Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> Hi Clay,
>
> I remember many years ago we were able to run IDV on a Raspberry Pi, but
> after that
> the OS running on the Pi changed to openGL ES, and causing the problem to run
> the
> IDV, I am not sure if this is the problem you were seeing, if so, I don't
> have a solution
> yet, and I will check with my college after AMS and do some more research, I
> can not
> promise anything at this moment.
>
> Yuan

Hi Clay,

I can confirm Yuan's summary is accurate. Years ago we were able to have the
IDV run on an ARM device similar to Raspberry PI (an ODroid). The problem is
the Java 3D API that the IDV depends on will no longer correctly interface with
the ARM device. I unfortunately, don't see this working anytime soon or ever.

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

Ticket ID: YGH-399796
Department: Support IDV