[IDV #AFS-891091]: Using Large WRF Gridded Ouput Files in IDV

> Hi Yuan,
>
> Per Pete's email attached, he has the WRF initial conditions file for our
> Sandy simulation which contains the ZNU and ZNW variable data. Since (1) our
> grid domain is stationary, (2) ZNU and ZNW are one-dimensional, and (3) ZNU
> and ZNW were specified in the initial conditions file, I assume that the
> vertical coordinates as specified in the ZNU and ZNW vectors are invariant
> among all XLAT and XLONG coordinates and among all of our time steps, but
> please have your WRF expert confirm my assumption.

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the delay replay, I just came back from a trip.

Yes, you use the ZNU and ZNW from init file.

> If my assumption above is correct, I should be able to merge our ZNU and ZNW
> variables and their data with our other WRF data for each time step using an
> NCO tool and then have IDV recognize ZNU or ZNW as vertical coordinates for
> our Sandy WRF output. Please also confirm if this latter assumption is
> correct.

But you still need to covert them to GIRB2 format at the end, I am not sure
this is a good idea.

Yuan

Ticket ID: AFS-891091
Department: Support IDV