[IDV #AFS-891091]: Using Large WRF Gridded Ouput Files in IDV

> Hi Yuan,
>
> Per Attachment 1, Pete double-checked the original Sandy WRF auxhist file for
> ZNU and ZNW variables and did not find either of them. Attachment 2 is
> summary output of the original Sandy WRF file. Attachment 3 is similar
> summary output of a Katrina WRF file (an NCAR example file) which does
> contain the ZNU and ZNW variables for comparison.

Jim,

It is clear this is not original WRF output, without vertical coordinate
variable you can not do real scientific analysis on these datasets.

> I presume we now need to return to my questions Q1, Q2 and Q3 about adding
> the ZNU and ZNW variables to my existing files.
>
> But because you since informed me that ZNU and ZNW are one-dimensional
> variables (which I also can confirm in the Katrina file), this suggests that
> the sigma coordinate system is fixed across the horizontal domain and that I,
> therefore, also would need to specify an appropriate set of fixed sigma
> vertical coordinates and then interpolate all of my 3D WRF variables onto the
> specified sigma vertical coordinate set. Please confirm if that is required,
> although it might be more processing than I would want to pursue. Maybe there
> are existing tools that can help me with this task?

The sigma coordinate is very complicated, I will not recommend modifying the
dataset at this stage. There are many sandy simulation output available, it
would be easier to
look around for the better one. I have some sandy data available online, the
problem is that it has very limit set of variable.

http://motherlode.ucar.edu/repository/entry/show?entryid=a149968d-3e94-4ca4-b532-61c84c00a9b0&output=thredds.catalog

Yuan

> Thanks!
>
> Jim