[IDV #YSJ-212851]: no metars

Hi Bill,

re:
> The time was about 6 hours ago, maybe 9:30 EDT. The server was
> adde.ucar.edu.

I found out that today's POINT files were being written to existing
files that were 10 days old when I tested overlaying GOES-R imagery
with surface temperatures this morning.  When I examined the data
files on adde.ucar.edu (now pointing to atm.ucar.edu), I found that
scouring had not been run for the old files; this explained why the
new data was being written to the end of an old file, and, therefore,
not available for plotting by both McIDAS-X and the IDV.  I corrected
the problem by deleting all of the old files while the LDM was turned
off; this let them be recreated as new data came in.  The result of
this is that there is no POINT data available from 0 - 16 UTC today.

re:
> Although in past days I have tried 3
> different servers: one at ssec and one was a .gov (for variety).

Hmm... POINT data IS and has been available from:

lead.unidata.ucar.edu
adde.ssec.wisc.edu

I know this since I've pointed to the ADDE servers on both of these
machines and produced surface plots, meteorograms, etc. in McIDAS-X
and see a continuous data record for the past 5 days.

Question:  What .gov ADDE server did you point at?

re:
> The error message was no data. It worked just now and yesterday
> afternoon after Tom Yoksas worked on it.

Yup, and that was due to the scour process not deleting the
output file for today, yesterday.  And that problem was a result
of the machine running out of shared memory, and that was caused
by the root file system filling because of an incorrectly configured
LDM pattern-action file action.  A cascade of errors caused by a
simple mistake :-(

I am expecting that POINT data decoding will continue without
interruption on atm.ucar.edu (again which you are actually
accessing via adde.ucar.edu) now that old data files have been
cleaned out.

Again, sorry for the data interruption!

Ticket ID: YSJ-212851
Department: Support IDV