[IDV #AVM-272137]: 2 IDV bugs; and can you remove a display from .xidv so hours of my IDV work aren't lost forever?

> Yuan,
> I am trying to build up a nice two-reanalysis bundle (attached) pointing to
> large aggregated datasets online. The two reanalyses (ERAI and MERRA2) have
> their longitude seams in different places, so this will be good for all
> possible weather on the globe.
>

> THE PROBLEM:
> MERRA2 has a field “sea level pressure pa” without units. But I want the
> contour labels to be ~1000 not ~100000. So I tried two approaches.
>
> 1. Formulas->Miscellaneous->Change Unit. I tried to add the unit “Pa” but
> this gave me a visAD error message. This was Bug #1.
>
> 2. Formulas-> slp/100. I then used the slp dialog to select “match time
> driver” and “match display region." It worked fine, and I went on to add more
> displays. But now when I open the saved bundle (the attached file), it tries
> to read MERRA2 SLP for all times (hundreds of thousands of times) and never
> finishes. The bundle is useless, and all my work on it is lost! This is Bug
> #2.

Hi Brian,

Sorry for all the troubles.

I downloaded your bundle and edit it by changing all "Use_Display_Driver_Times"
to "true", and now you can try the attached modified bundle which will not

For the first bug, you need to use the newUnit(a, "pressure", "pa"),  Formula >
Grids >  Define a grid diagnostic, and type "newUnit(a, "pressure", "pa")", I
am not sure "pa" or
"pascal", you can give it a try.

Yuan
> I tried editing the .xidv by hand, to remove the slp/100 display (search for
> “slp’100” or “pressure pa”). But the .xml is too complicated, and I can’t
> figure out how to remove that display. I tried a few things, but the bundle
> always gets hung up reading thousands of time levels of MERRA2 slp.
>
> Can you help me remove that display so I can use the rest of the bundle? I
> have put a lot of effort into making it nice and need it for class tomorrow.
>

> And also, can you fix the 2 IDV bugs above?
>

> Thanks!
> Brian

> Brian Mapes, Professor
> Department of Atmospheric Sciences
> Meteorology and Physical Oceanography Program
> RSMAS, University of Miami
> 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway
> Miami, FL 33149-1098
>
> phone: (305) 421-4275