[IDV #MLC-476049]: Inability to access NOAA ESRL thredds server in IDV 5.3 - self signed certificate problem?

> Now connecting and loading HRRR model data grids just fine.
>
> Problem seems to be that in IDV you can leave by default the DATA SOURCE
> TYPE as "I'm Feeling Lucky", which worked with the unidata thredds
> server... or specify it. For the esrl thredds server hrrr data when I
> select a DATA SOURCE TYPE of "Grid Files (netcdf/grib/opendap/gempak)",
> it loaded just fine.
>
> So, although there were problems with the esrl thredds server at times,
> this particular issue of me... the operator... not specifically
> selecting the DATA SOURCE TYPE... was the problem.
>
> Walt Rogers

Hi Walter,

The IDV does not have a lot smart to determine the data source type, if there
is no postfix in the file name, the user would have to tell the IDV the data
type.
Not checking the data source type automatically can also improve the
performance and this is very important in the beginning of the IDV development.

Yuan

> On 1/13/2017 1:29 PM, Patrick Hildreth - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
> > I've been doing some experimenting using toolsUI 4.6 ad connecting to
> > the TDS (https://esrl.noaa.gov/gsd/thredds/catalog.xml) in the hope that
> > the underlying libraries share something with the IDV and could provide
> > anther viewpoint.
> >
> > I am able to connect ok and it lists the available data as expected.
> > When I try to 'open dataset' I get an 'Error on setThreddsDatatype ...
> > file not available' message. After looking very closely at it I noticed
> > that the url in the error message is missing a '/' right after 'https:'
> > Instead of:
> >
> > https://137.75.133.18:8443/gsd/thredds/catalog/hrrr/conus/wrfnat/catalog.html?dataset=wrfnat/1701319000500
> >
> > as shown in the window the error popup has the url:
> >
> > https:/137.75.133.18:8443/gsd/thredds/catalog/hrrr/conus/wrfnat/catalog.html?dataset=wrfnat/1701319000500
> > <http://137.75.133.18:8443/gsd/thredds/catalog/hrrr/conus/wrfnat/catalog.html?dataset=wrfnat/1701319000500>
> >
> > The url is listed correctly in all other aspects of the toolsUI. The
> > missing '/' only appears in the error popup as far as I have determined.
> >
> > I have no issues getting data from thredds.ucar.edu
> > <http://thredds.ucar.edu>
> >
> > Don't know if this is directly relevant to the IDV issue but seems
> > likely to be worthy of mention.
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Walter Rogers <address@hidden
> > <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
> >
> >     Yes, that was my mistake... IDV doesn't read the *.inv file.
> >
> >     When I try to open /hrrrr/conus/wrfnat/1701318003000 or some other
> >     model run... I get the same problem as I had earlier in the Windows
> >     7 version running IDV 5.3 ... simply an opened IDV separate window
> >     and blank screen.
> >
> >     that extra '/' problem was solved for *.inv, but the earlier issue
> >     remains unresolved. Behavior was the same in IDV 5.3 on Windows 7
> >     and Linux.
> >
> >     Walt
> >
> >     Now when I try to open
> >

> >     On 1/13/2017 12:40 PM, Patrick Hildreth - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
> >
> >         Hi Walter,
> >
> >         Just noticed in the screenshot you sent that it was trying to
> >         read an
> >         inventory file. I don't know that IDV can read an inventory
> >         file. It's a
> >         simple ASCII text file.
> >
> >         -Patrick

Ticket ID: MLC-476049