[IDV #MLC-476049]: Inability to access NOAA ESRL thredds server in IDV 5.3 - self signed certificate problem?

Hi Walter,

First off, the certificate at https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gsd/thredds/catalog.html
is not self-signed, it has been issued by DigiCert. As far as I can tell it is a
valid certificate from a Certificate Authority.

However, I am getting a 502 Bad Gateway error when trying to access that URL.

Patrick, is there a problem with the THREDDS server at that URL?

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

> Inability to access NOAA ESRL thredds server in IDV 5.3 - self signed
> certificate problem?
>
> Can't connect... How does IDV handle a self signed certificate?
>
> In IDV I changed my catalog entry for the esrl server to:
>
> https://esrl.noaa.gov/gsd/thredds/catalog.xml
>
> It connects and gives me catalog entries, but fails to retrieve a
> particular data set. While exploring the error I saw this after
> selecting a particular hrrr model native grid model run:
>
> https://137.75.133.18:8443/gsd/thredds/dodsC/hrrr/conus/wrfnat/1701300001400
>
> Pasted it into firefox browser and got a warning about an unsigned
> certificate. I told firefox to accept it anyway and received:
>
> Error {
> code = 400;
> message = "Unrecognized request";
> };
>
> which I assume means firefox doesn't know how to talk like a thredds
> server, but at least the site was connected to.
>
> Looks like IDV v5.3 on Windows 7 can't talk to this thredds server. How
> does IDV handle a self signed certificate?
>
> On Jan 9th, I couldn't even get into their thredds server, but Patrick
> Hildreth from ESRL/GSD/ITS/DSG was working on the server. He replied:
>
> "On 1/9/2017 2:26 PM, Patrick Hildreth - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
> > Hi Walter,
> >
> > We've been required to update the thredds server to use https only and
> > that work required some configuration changes which completed earlier
> > today. You should be able to access the service presently though you may
> > get a warning about the self-signed certificate the server uses for
> > authentication.
> >
> > Are you still having problems accessing the thredds server?
> >
> > regards,
> > Patrick Hildreth
> > ESRL/GSD/ITS/DSG "

Ticket ID: MLC-476049