[IDV #HDU-702111]: Contours over Topography Error

> Hi Andrea,
>
> Just touching base with you that we are looking into this issue. The problem
> is
> we can reproduce this issue, but intermittently. Sometimes it works, sometimes
> it does not and we get the error you report. Is this what you observed?
>
> You may wish to try in the IDV Dashboard, Field Selector tab, right-click on
> the
> elevation data (data.nc), go to Properties, Spatial Subset Tab and subset over
> North America assuming that is your region of interest. Now plot the contours
> and wind vectors as you were doing.
>
> Subsetting seems to help, but not consistently unfortunately. See the attached
> bundle for an example.
>
> Apart from that, we will continue to look into this matter.
>
> Best,
>
> Unidata IDV Support

Hi Andrea,

The problem of using the topography data you downloaded from (from:
http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.NOAA/.NGDC/.GLOBE/.topo/) is that the
elvelation
field is in (longitude, latitude) and the datasets of GFS or HRRR are in
(latitude, longitude), and the elevation of topo file is from (-180, 180), the
GFS
is from (0, 360). So, it is impossible for the IDV to do both swapping the
lat/lon and subset to the region of wind vector field.

In general, you should use the geopotential height at the ground level as your
topo field when creating the display of Vectors Over Topography. Doing so can
avoid the
problem you were experienced.

Yuan

> [...]
> > at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridUtil.swapLatLon(GridUtil.java:6689)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.create2DTopography(DerivedGridFactory.java:949)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.create2DTopography(DerivedGridFactory.java:844)
> > at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
> > at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
> > at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
> > at
> > org.python.core.PyReflectedFunction.__call__(PyReflectedFunction.java:186)
> > at
> > org.python.core.PyReflectedFunction.__call__(PyReflectedFunction.java:204)
> > at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java:478)
> > at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java:482)
> > at org.python.pycode._pyx77.f$0(<string>:1)
> > at org.python.pycode._pyx77.call_function(<string>)
> > at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java:167)
> > at org.python.core.PyCode.call(PyCode.java:18)
> > at org.python.core.Py.runCode(Py.java:1386)
> > at org.python.core.__builtin__.eval(__builtin__.java:497)
> > at org.python.core.__builtin__.eval(__builtin__.java:501)
> > at org.python.util.PythonInterpreter.eval(PythonInterpreter.java:251)
> > at ucar.unidata.data.DerivedDataChoice.getData(DerivedDataChoice.java:795)
> > at ucar.unidata.data.DataChoice.getData(DataChoice.java:628)
> > at ucar.unidata.data.DataInstance.getData(DataInstance.java:243)
> > at ucar.unidata.data.DataInstance.getData(DataInstance.java:207)
> > at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.init(GridDataInstance.java:206)
> > at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.<init>(GridDataInstance.java:163)
> > at ucar.unidata.data.grid.GridDataInstance.<init>(GridDataInstance.java:144)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.control.GridDisplayControl.doMakeDataInstance(GridDisplayControl.java:294)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.initializeDataInstance(DisplayControlImpl.java:3319)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.setData(DisplayControlImpl.java:3275)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.control.PlanViewControl.setData(PlanViewControl.java:664)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.control.FlowPlanViewControl.setData(FlowPlanViewControl.java:300)
> > at ucar.unidata.idv.control.PlanViewControl.init(PlanViewControl.java:489)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java:1441)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java:1124)
> > at
> > ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor.initControl(ControlDescriptor.java:986)
> > at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor$1.run(ControlDescriptor.java:911)
> > at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$3.run(Misc.java:1243)

Ticket ID: HDU-702111
Department: Support IDV