[IDV #GIQ-605662]: Creating a Surface Weather Analysis

> Full Name: Matthew Steiner
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows 8.1
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_5.3\jre version: 1.8.0_45
> j3d:1.6.0-pre9-daily-experimental daily
> Description of problem: To Whom it May Concern,
>
> I am a graduate student from CU Boulder Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic
> Sciences. I am very new to the software, and I am trying to make an
> interpolated (or my own drawn) surface analysis based on a case study from
> 1600-0400 UTC 9-10 October 2014. Ideally, on the map I would like to have
> station models, isobars, fronts, and low/high pressure centers. Just from
> what the IDV software provides, I can plot station models from networks
> already programmed in (MesoWest for example), but I don't know how to change
> the density of the station models. I also don't know how to keep the focus of
> the plot on just the United States lower 48, and I don't know if the archived
> surface data is already programmed into IDV for this particular date (I don't
> think the software holds archived data going that far back). If data is not
> already programmed for this date, I'm also not sure what data formats are
> acceptable to upload to the IDV software. How would you go about plotting a
> surface an
 alysis for this particular date.

> I want to be able to show a surface frontal analysis (similar to NOAA WPC's
> graphics) except with a higher density of station models.
>
> Many thanks,
> Matt

HI Matt,

As you can tell we don't archive data, the data server only provides more
recent data. We may have surface obs for over a year or two since it is
relatively small. But you should be able to find the data from NCDC or other
data center, the format can be METAR for gempak.

In the display control of the surface obs,
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/controls/StationModelControl.html,
 you can see the density widget to help you control the density of the station
model.

let me know if you need further help.

Yuan

Ticket ID: GIQ-605662