[IDV #SRR-673162]: IDV Locarl Radar Display

Hi Joel,

I reread this entire support inquiry with my colleague Tom Yoksas and I wanted
to start from square one.

First, the problem is really with the data provider. They should correctly
geolocate the radar data.

That said, these problems can be corrected in the IDV in a number of ways,
including NCML. But as your latest response points out, this solution is not
ideal because you would have to adjust the NCML for every new file.

Going back to the beginning, you mentioned "MCIDAS". Which MCIDAS is that?
McIDAS-X or McIDAS-V? We suspect you mean McIDAS-V. If you prefer McV to view
the radar data (correctly positioned with your XML file), you can certainly
continue with McV to view the METAR surface observations.

https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/mcv_guide/1.5/quickstart/Point.html

Contact SSEC for additional questions about McV as this is not a Unidata
product.

https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/mcv_guide/1.5/quickstart/Point.html

Create an IDV Plugin
====================

As for the IDV, you can correct the location of the radar station with another
mechanism that does not involve NCML. We will, instead, create a plugin that
contains the `nexradstations.xml' file to correct the station location.

IDV RBI File
~~~~~~~~~~~~

We will first create a RBI (Resource Bundle for the IDV) file. In a text editor,
create a `guatemala_radar.rbi' file that has these contents:

<resourcebundle name="Default">
  <resources name="idv.resource.locations">
    <resource
       id="nexrad"
       location="/nexradstations.xml"
       type="radar"/>
  </resources>
</resourcebundle>

Create a Plugin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next, go to the Tools --> Plugin Creator menu item. This action will bring forth
a Plugin Creator window. Go to the File -> Add File menu item and add the
`guatemala_radar.rbi'. Also add the `nexradstations.xml'.

At this point, you are ready to press the "Write Plugin:" button. Call it
`guatemala_radar.jar' and make sure to check the "Install" option.

Restart the IDV for the plugin to take effect. You now have the Guatemala radar
station available via the IDV Dashboard, Data Choosers Tab, Sat & Radar, Radar
option, "NEXRAD - Local" tab. The "Guatemala/Las Nubes (GUA)" option will be
available to you in the "Radar Locations" drop down menu.

Now select your `.uf' file. It should plot the radar data in the correct
location.

By the way, you can reuse that `guatemala_radar.jar' with other IDVs or you can
share it will colleagues. Go to Tools --> Plugin Manager, to bring forth the
Plugin Manager window, and go to File -> Install Plugin from File.

Best,

Unidata IDV Support