[IDV #MCC-676463]: IDV crashes on startup since latest JAVA update

Dzengiz,

I assume you are not running the IDV via Webstart, but running the regular
installation
of the IDV.

You should not be concerned with what version of Java you are running since the
IDV is bundled with its own version of Java.

If your Java installation is causing problems for the IDV, you may consider
uninstalling it.

Please keep us up-to-date on your progress.

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

> Hi
>
> I am (was) running the IDV 5.2 on a 64 bit Windows 7 (i7, 32Gb RAM)
>
> Yesterday I installed the latest JAVA update. When trying to start the IDV
> today it crashes on startup.
>
> When starting the IDV it initialises its resources. It opens the Dashboard,
> but when loading the map view the IDV
> crashes to desktop giving the following error message in the cmd-prompt
>
> javax.media.opengl.GLException: Unable to create temp OpenGL context for
> device context 0x630113ab
>
> at
> jogamp.opengl.windows.wgl.WindowsWGLContext.createImpl(WindowsWGLContext.java:312)
> at jogamp.opengl.GLContextImpl.makeCurrentWithinLock(GLContextImpl.java:663)
> at jogamp.opengl.GLContextImpl.makeCurrent(GLContextImpl.java:562)
> at jogamp.opengl.GLContextImpl.makeCurrent(GLContextImpl.java:519)
> at javax.media.j3d.JoglPipeline$QueryCanvas.doQuery(JoglPipeline.java:8617)
> at javax.media.j3d.JoglPipeline$QueryCanvas.access$100(JoglPipeline.java:8568)
> at javax.media.j3d.JoglPipeline.createQueryContext(JoglPipeline.java:6550)
> at javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D.createQueryContext(Canvas3D.java:4618)
> at javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D.createQueryContext(Canvas3D.java:3611)
> at javax.media.j3d.Renderer.doWork(Renderer.java:461)
> at javax.media.j3d.J3dThread.run(J3dThread.java:271)
>
> This version of Java3D can't query "textureWidthMax/textureHeightMax" so they
> are being assigned the default values:
> textureWidthMax: 1024 textureHeightMax: 1024
>
> DefaultRenderingErrorListener.errorOccurred:
>
> If images render as a 'grey-box', try setting these parameters
> to a lower value, eg. 512, with '-DtextureWidthMax=512'
> Otherwise check your graphics environment
> specificationsCONTEXT_CREATION_ERROR:
> Renderer: Error creating Canvas3D graphics context for queryProperties()
>
> graphicsDevice = Win32GraphicsDevice[screen=0]
> canvas = javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D[canvas0,0,0,0x0,invalid]
>
> I never had any chashes or similar problems with the IDV.
> Uninstaling the latest 8u66 update and reverting to the previous 8u60 did not
> resolve the issue.
>
> Is there any way I can get the IDV working again or am I missing something?
>

> Best regards
>
> Dzengiz

Ticket ID: MCC-676463
Department: Support IDV