[IDV #BXH-959682]: The method of displaying variable at z level

Yi-Chuan,

Without having seen the netCDF file in question, the vertical coordinate
dimension in the bering_pre.nc file is geopotential height, but what you really
want is for the vertical coordinate dimension to be z height. In this manner,
you can visualize your data -- say gpz or any other field e.g., temperature --
as a function of the z height vertical coordinate dimension. Correct?

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there is no way to do this conversion of the
netCDF vertical coordinate dimension from within the IDV.

Instead you will have to convert your netCDF file, do the interpolations of the
data and whatnot, on your own. Make sure any netCDF file you produce is CF
compliant.

That's the best advice I can offer at this point.

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

> Hi,
> These links are very useful and give me some interesting ideas about
> creating Jython formula. Before that, I have to change data coordinate from
> pressure level to z level. So, I'm curious that does IDV have a function to
> create z coordinate and interpolate data from pressure level into z level.
> If no, are there other methods to do this?
>
> Yi-Chuan

> :
>
> > Yi-Chuan,
> >
> > If I understand your question correctly, you want to convert geopotential
> > (gp)
> > -- which is available in your bering_pre.nc file -- to height (z).
> >
> > You can do this by "Define a grid diagnostic" formula and using the
> > GP2Z(gp)formula
> >

> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/formulas/DoingMoreFormulas.html
> >

> > http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/current/docs/userguide/tools/JythonLib.html
> >
> > At any rate, you can find various formulas and functions in the IDV
> > documentation which can hopefully do what you are trying to achieve.
> >
> > https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/workshop/formulas/index.html
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Unidata IDV Support
> >
> > > Full Name: Yi-Chuan
> > > Email Address: address@hidden
> > > Package Version: 5.2 build date:2015-08-26 18:19 UTC
> > > Operating System: Windows 8.1
> > > Hardware: Java: home: D:\IDV_5.2\jre version: 1.8.0_45
> > j3d:1.6.0-pre9-daily-experimental daily
> > > Description of problem:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > How do I do to transform pressure level into z level and create a
> > variable
> > > name "pressure" at z level ?
> > >

> > Ticket Details
> > Ticket ID: BXH-959682