[IDV #AJH-348949]: fole format for timeseries data

Hyun-Min,

You are on the right track, and kudos for describing the data with CF
conventions in mind, but unfortunately, things are little complicated here.

First off, a good model or exemplar for describing these data can be found here:

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/data/formats/netcdf/v1.1/

and specifically

http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/testdata/netCDFTemplateExamples/timeSeries/BodegaMarineLabBuoyCombined.cdl

I think your CDL file strongly resembles this CDL example already, but may be
missing some important global attributes related to CF.

At a minimum, I believe I would add:

:featureType = "timeSeries" ;
:Conventions = "CF-1.6" ;

and perhaps

:Metadata_Conventions = "Unidata Dataset Discovery v1.0" ;
:nodc_template_version = "NODC_NetCDF_TimeSeries_Orthogonal_Template_v1.0" ;

Also ensure that your CDL file is following the conventions described in
BodegaMarineLabBuoyCombined.cdl. I believe that it is for the most part, but
please double-check (I just noticed that the dimensions and dimensions
associated w/ the variables needs to be better adhered to).

On the IDV side what is your intention for the display? Unfortunately, once we
have fixed the problems with the data, I am not entirely sure the IDV will
render
your data in the manner you want without some work on the IDV.

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

> Full Name: Hyun-Min Shin
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 5.1u2
> Operating System: Windows 7
> Hardware: Inter Xeon with 6GB memory
> Description of problem: I want to bring a time-series data into IDV. Attached
> are the CDL file and netCDF file (using ncgen) containing hourly temperature
> data for 546 stations in California for 10 hour-span. I failed to bring the
> data into IDV. Could you let me know if IDV can display time-series data for
> multiple stations (synoptic) from a local file? And if yes and my file has
> errors, what could be fix of the problems. Any response would be appreciated
> much.

Ticket ID: AJH-348949
Department: Support IDV