[IDV #XUC-573642]: 3d isobar visualization

Gayle,

Yes, the IDV will plot 3D isobars also known as isosurfaces and can plot the
example you describe. If the grb data in question is correctly formatted this
should not be a problem. For getting started with the IDV, please see here:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/

Best,

Unidata IDV Support

> I wanted to plot daily weather data and forecasts (I guess GRIB files?) on
> my computer, so for example I could watch the movement of a low pressure
> system on a 3d isobar plot shaded with air temperatures.
>
> I know there are android and apple apps that do this (like Weather4D),
> but I wanted something that runs on my Windows laptop.
>
> Which of the viewers listed on your UCAR website would be best suited?
> AWIPS, GEMPAK, IDV or McIDAS?
>
> I have some programming and large dataset experience, but I have never
> worked with grib data.
>
> Thanks!
> Gayle Weber
> Oklahoma