[IDV #RMI-290185]: Problems of grads ctl file time?

> Full Name: Dr. Jian Tang
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 5.0u2,5.1u2
> Operating System: win7 x64
> Hardware:
> Description of problem: hi there,
>
> I don't know how to comment on [IDV #RMI-290185]: Problems of grads ctl file
> time?
> So I just make a new post... Sorry for the trouble. I sent a email to idv
> user mail list, after second thought, probably i should not have done that...
>
> we are using IDV 5.0u2 and 5.1u2 try to read GrADs binary grid files through
> control file (CTL File).
> The Ctl looks like this and it works fine using Grads to open it.
>
> both 5.0 and 5.1 can open ctl file fine and plot fine.
> only issue remain is the time dimension
> no matter how I change the tdef line, "12z20MAY2015"
> it always show starting from 1970-01-01-08 CST in IDV
> in this case:
> 1970-01-01-08 CST
> 1970-01-01-09 CST
> 1970-01-01-10 CST...
>
> If I change "60mn" to "1dy", it will appear like
> 1970-01-01-08 CST
> 1970-01-02-08 CST
> 1970-01-03-08 CST...
>
> If I change "49", IDV will report error.
>
> Seems to me that the IDV does not get any infomation from "12z20MAY2015" in
> the line TDEF in  CTL file.
>
> If anyone has any experience please do not hestitate to share with me. Many
> thanks.

Again, there is nothing wrong with the syntax of time definition. I am not
GrADS expert, you need to find someone to help you figure out the other part of
this ctl file. I used the attached file from
DaiKan, and change the time definition to "12z20MAY2015", the result in the IDV
is exactly what I expected.

DaiKan, the attached file works correctly in the IDV 5.1u2.

Yuan

> dset ^postvar2015052012
> options sequential big_endian
> title post output from grapes
> undef 9.999E+20
> xdef   831  linear   102.0000    0.0300
> ydef   661  linear    17.0000    0.0300
> zdef   26 levels
> 1000.000000
> 975.0000000
> ...... to save space here
> 20.00000000
> 10.00000000
> tdef   49 linear 12z20MAY2015    60mn
> vars 30
> u 26 0 u_wind
> v 26 0 v_wind
> ...... to save space here
> tslb  4 0 tslb
> mslb  4 0 mslb
> endvars
> please see to the attachments for more details.
>
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/idvusers/2011/msg00042.html

Ticket ID: RMI-290185
Department: Support IDV