[SupportPlaza #MAE-670619]: Can't login

Hi Murray,

re:
> Well the login already contained the ID address@hidden apparently
> copied and carried over from previous attempts.  I don't know how far
> back that goes, but as you can see it is misspelled.

I see 'gail.com' vs 'gmail.com'

re:
> I kept hammering away at the PW, and didn't have the sense to re-enter
> the ID correctly.

Been there; done that :-)

re:
> So, now the boy is IN and has downloaded/installed 5.1 again.

Excellent!

re:
> But the original email was occasioned by my inability to get 5.1
> to run.   I believe your memory problems item in the notes apply.

OK.

re:
> The entire installation folder appears to be stuck in READ-ONLY
> mode and I can't figure out how to do the editing you suggest to
> overcome RUN problems.  Attempts to SAVE my edit, result in a
> "can't do it" Windows error every time.

OK.

re:
> Is there some trick to get control of the folder?  I admit this seems
> to be something related to my system, but I'm working on an absolutely
> plain vanilla, W7 HP laptop.

OK, the challenges in trying to edit the runIDV.bat script using
something like Wordpad under Windows 7 is something I understand
completely -- my personal machine is a Dell Studio 14 laptop (64-bit
I7 with 8 GB of RAM), and I know the key to being able to change
the IDV startup script:

- click on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories

- scroll in the list under Accessories until you find Wordpad
  and right click on it (NOT left click)

  This should result in a list of options, and the one you want is

  Run as Administrator

- Select 'Run as Administrator' to start Wordpad and then Open
  the runIDV.bat file in the directory in which the IDV was
  installed

  This should be C:\Program Files\IDVxxx (IDVxxx because I do
  not if you chose to rename the installation directory from its
  default)

- make any/all editing changes to the runIDV.bat script and then
  Save your changes

  This should work since you are running Wordpad as the Administrator.

- try starting the IDV by double clicking on the IDV icon on your
  desktop

  I am assuming, of course, that you said yes that a desktop icon should
  be created.

re:
> The IDV version I'm trying to install is 32-bit....is that still a valid
> option for me?

Yes, but if your OS is 64-bit it is MUCH better to install the 64-bit version
of the IDV!

If you continue to have problems getting the IDV to run, please send an
inquiry to address@hidden.

Ticket ID: MAE-670619
Department: Support Plaza