[IDV #GTY-591375]: flowvectors have u and v mixed up, can't figure why?

> > Full Name: brian mapes
> > Email Address: address@hidden
> > Package Version: 5.0u2 build date:2014-10-08 07:05 UTC
> > Operating System: Mac OS X
> > Hardware: Java: home: /Applications/IDV_5.0u2/jre.bundle/Contents/Home/jre
> > version: 1.7.0_67 j3d:1.6.0-pre9-daily-experimental daily
> > Description of problem: Why did I have to scale these pink vectors by 100
> > to see them at all?
> > Why are their components mixed up (trade winds are shown as south pointing
> > vectors)?
> >
> > I know, there are no units on this dataset and there "should" be, but is
> > the flowvector scaling default 100x out of whack?
> >
> > Thanks for any clues.
> > Brian
> >

> > ------------Help->Details on the flowve3ctors display looks OK. -----------
> >
> > Display: flowvectors - Vector Plan View
> > ?Data:
> > ?Derived quantity: Formula: DerivedGridFactory.createFlowVectors (D1, D2)
> > Field: flowvectors (Flow Vectors (from u2m & v2m)) from:
> > Field: u2m (eastward wind at 2 m above the displacement height) from: Name:
> > MERRA 2D-hourly met Description:Geogrid data source
> > Files:
> > dods://goldsmr2.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/dods/MAT1NXSLV
> > Field: v2m (northward wind at 2 m above the displacement height) from:
> > Name: MERRA 2D-hourly met Description:Geogrid data source
> > Files:
> > dods://goldsmr2.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/dods/MAT1NXSLV
> >

> I think the data values of 2 meter wind in this dataset are bad.
>
> -9.98E8 probably represent missing value.
>

> Yuan

In certain time steps, there are actually good values and you don't need to do
100 factors. But I did see in many time step, the 2 meter wind only has the
value of -9.98E8 and the variable's attribute of missing value is
9.99999999999E14f. This doesn't make any sense.

Yuan

Ticket ID: GTY-591375