[IDV #YZK-803896]: Ticket# BRK-528772

> Yuan,
>
> For whatever reason, what you have detailed below does not work for me.  I
> would like both the 2D and 3D fields to be correctly displayed in the
> stereographic projection in IDV.  I also don’t see two map projections
> defined in the netCDF file (in the field selector tab I right-clicked on the
> file and read the metadata and can only find Polar Stereographic).  Can you
> clarify where you see this?  When I load in any variable (2-D or 3-D) and and
> click on use grid projection I still see that the coastline does not match up
> with the background map as in the image I sent previously.  Before loading in
> the data I did unselect the auto-projection feature.  I do see that the
> projection is set to stereographic but the two still don’t align.  Would you
> be able to send me an image of he model terrain on top of the background map
> to see how it differs from my own?  Also, I am using IDV 4.1 if that makes
> any difference.
>
> David

David,
     I see the problem.
     For historical reason, the nc output from the WRF has never been CF
compliance. The netCDF group developers have to do something special to make it
look like good nc file. In your case,
the stereographic projection is being applied to the 3D variable but not 2D and
this is likely why you see the coast lines not match with your data.

     I will check if there is anything can be done here to make it works.

Yuan

> On Sep 23, 2014, at 12:27 PM, Unidata IDV Support <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> IDV Support,
> >>
> >> I have uploaded the WRF file.  In addition, I have attached a .gif image
> >> here showing how the coast lines don’t match.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your help,
> >>
> >> David Siuta
> >
> > Hi David,
> >       There is nothing wrong with the IDV or your dataset. Inside this nc
> > dataset, there are two set projections, polar stereographic and lat/lon.
> > When you load a 2D variable, it is using lat/lon projection.
> > If you want to see the same projection for 3D variable, you can turn off
> > the auto set projection under Projections > Auto-set Projection before
> > creating the display. If you want to switch between these two
> > projections, right click on the legend of one of  display and select: View
> > > Use Grid Projection. The IDV will do the work of converting the
> > projection automatically for you.
> >

> > Yuan
> >>
> >> address@hidden

> > Ticket Details